Thread: cow bells

Default cow bells

just bought a small farm and bought two cows to keep my girls horse company well long story short these cows are escape artist tried adding another wire got a fence charger hooked that up thought we were good to go. then i was awoken this morning at 5 am to ding ding dong from the bells around there neck so now they have busted the d clip we had the stall door latched with and are standing right next to the road. thankfully they are pigs and will follow a bowl of grain back to the barn what am i to do next rent a stall at fort knox so the guy or lady that though it was a good idea to put bells on cows was a genius
    Last edited by Barry Digman; 03-18-2016 at 08:18 AM.

Default Re: cow bells

1st Rule Keeping cows. Sell all fence jumpers and escape artists to another rancher.

Quote Originally Posted by mgstei1 View Post
    1st Rule Keeping cows. Sell all fence jumpers and escape artists to another rancher.
    somebody here is a rancher as well as a beekeeper

Unfortunately once a cow gets into the habit of running fences a bullet is the only cure, I once had one that I was dead set of breaking, so I placed her into a pasture that had telephone poles cut as fence posts and high tensile wire I electrified 2 of the four wires. This hog of a cow was far to fat to jump the fence. and all went well. Until I put other cows in with her. She would corner the other cows and push them through the fence so she could get out and stuff herself on what she perceived as greener grass.
    The truly disappointing part is the miserable old heifer was as tough as shoe leather so we had to grind every bit of the meat.

Yep!
    A trained donkey or horse can keep them away from the fences, but even they have to snooze now and then.
    That heifer was tough from all the fence jumping and playing hard to get out cause that grass is so green.
    Just like the bees. You aint gonna change them. Cause a bee cant change its stripes. Just like a tiger.

they are dexters so wont be jumping anything just stepping and pushing through. have one of the 2 middle wires hooked up to shock, dont really want to many with a 4 and 2 year old running around. not that the 4 year old diddnt learn quick not to touch the fence!!