Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

just saw this snip below in another post talking about a dog book that raised the main question

>>>>>I'm currently shopping for a new pup and this breed is at the top of my short list. I've had German Wirehaired Pointers for many years.

i have had a few German Shorthaired Pointers which are an awesome dog. i really liked them alot and had to give my last dog up when i got deployed I plan on getting another dog when i get home. Never had a Wirehaired Pointer? The 2 i had never hunted but they went to point now and then. the short haired pointer is very smart, strong and a great looking dog.

Mattoleriver what do you like about the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever breed? a very pretty smart looking dog.

------------------
    NH Beekeeper

** Have you seen BeeBlogs.com ?

Don't like the smells, don't like the feces, don't like the jumping, don't like the vet bills, don't like the filty car, don't like filty house, don't like the panting, slobbering, licking, drooling, don't like the growling, barking, fighting, don't like the digging and damage, ....why did you say you wanted another dog ?

dtwilliamson Guest

> what kind of dog do you like ?

One that is someone elses that I don't have to clean up after.

Dan

odfrank what type of dog do you have?

stuffed ??

I tend to like larger breeds, but will never again have a purebreed. Our Australian Shepherd is absolutely crazy. Comes from champion bloodlines, but I think the canine industry in general has taken to over-breeding. The best, sweetest dog I ever had, and if I came upon one today would readily take again, was a half german shepherd and half doberman. She was the sweetest dog I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. I like large active outdoor dogs that are kid-friendly, but excellent watch dogs. Next on the list would probably be a retreiver mix or a rott mix.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Don't like the smells, don't like the feces, don't like the jumping, don't like the vet bills, don't like the filty car, don't like filty house, don't like the panting, slobbering, licking, drooling, don't like the growling, barking, fighting, don't like the digging and damage<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For a minute there I thought we were talking about children...

[This message has been edited by coyote (edited November 30, 2004).]

What I really want is a miniature long hair dachshund! http://www1.odn.ne.jp/~cay57260/koinu-d.html

[This message has been edited by magnet-man (edited November 30, 2004).]

I went to my cabin this weekend with friends and their Pitbull/boxer mix. Their van smelled like a kennel. Upon arrival, the dog ran into the forest and came back in two minutes having rolled in some kind of dead carcas. We had to ride home for an hour in the stench, and spend the next hour at the do-it-yourself dog wash. Thats why I have no dogs.

Sir,
    How are you hope everything is going as well as it can in the part of the world you are in. I was a K-9 MP bomb dog handler I worked for the secret service during the primaries, mainly for Gore. The dog you want to look at is a Belgin Malinois or Belgin Tervuren. These are the most trainable dogs I ever worked with. Loyal to the death if need be, great with kids. A definate alpha dog so would have to be a one dog house. The Malinois is a cross between a German shepard and a Tervuren they adapt to any environment and love water. They are a one owner in a life time dog if you think that you would have to give the dog up for future deployments get a fish.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!'"

V/R
    Gary

P.S.

If you come home thru GE my offer still stands!

From what I've seen, purebreds do seem to have a lot more medical problems than crosses or even mutts -- must be that hybrid vigor thing going on. I've always been partial to border collies myself -- energetic but not too rambunctious and very smart. For a short haired variety, I'd choose a beagle mix for basically the same reasons.

haha you people are making me giggle like a little school girl on some of those comments above

odfrank you should have stuffed that mutt into a mailbox 10 minutes into the trip.

hi miki we are getting closer each day my friend we have a group of mine dogs over here which proof everything before any areas are openned needless to say they are very busy little pups. got a/c dog houses to boot we obviously have explosive dogs to which are at the gates like on any combat zone post.

i will going through GE in a week or so in route to R&R in the world. i cant wait to see my kids!!! are you going to be up in frankfurt around the 11th-12th

i agree that now in the "new" anti-terror Army National Guard (more frequent deployments) consideration on a getting a dog should without question play a role for a soldier.

need to check out those 2 you mentioned because i get home and 6 months letter i get my 20yr letter so a dog is on the horizon.

------------------
    NH Beekeeper

** Have you seen BeeBlogs.com ?

Big Grin

I like the kosher all beef dogs.

I was looking at my work schedule I have the 11th off and mid shift on the 12th I may be able to make it there on th 11th. I will have to check with the wife I'm sure she will want to go also, you may remember her beesource name "Toni" we would make it a day trip Frankfurt is 3 hrs from us. If you need to send me any travel info my secure e-mail is gary dot piantanida at us dot army dot mil we get some spammers but they only last a day or so before thier booted. I'm know the area where you will come thru been there myself before.

One team one fight
    Gary

I like springers,very smart,learn very good,comes in house and goes direkly to mat and stays there.Very afectionet to owner but will hunt with some one else,good retrevers and learn ta stay close.Go to store,tell him ta stay,is waiting when i come out.

Wink

odfrank,
    The secret is to become one with the dog. Humans are so "sensitive". That last comment was said with my "man" voice. Which of course is my only voice. Not that I don't hear a few other voices now and then. (Do too!)Do not! (do too! AAAAgg!.)

There was a movie with Nick Noltie where he got down and fed with a dog. The dog was his best friend from that point forward. Thats what I'm talking about. (Am not!) Am too! (Knock it off, all of you....AAAHHH!.)
    All I'm saying if you roll with the dog, eat with the dog, smell like the dog, you get the point....

If you think about it, humans are the only species on earth that really has a thing against the "natural" smell of other humans. Bears smell, deer smell, dogs, and so on. The stronger the better. Good way to attract a mate for other animals. But for good old humans, a strong smell perhaps indicating a "hard" work ethics, which should means a ways of "providing" for a mate, is somehow meant something bad. And I won't even get into the "natural" passing of gas and its negative views. I better stop now before I cross that line. (What line, keep going.) No, better stop, and If I'm telling you that, I must be telling myself that. AAARRRGGG......help me I'm bored. (no he's not) AARRGGG.....

HOLY COW BJORN you actually have a sense of humor. Thanks for the laugh! I spent a week outside a drug dogs cage just sitting there letting him bark in my ear before I could even get a leash on him. He is Nicky a dutch shepard from FT Benning. 41 teeth, 1 titanium tooth and an attitude. that dog was the spawn of Satan (Just a play on words don't anyone start a religous thread on my part).

------------------
    Procrastination is the assination of inspiration.

Gary

We raise Australian Shepherds and have for 25 years. Priceless for our lifestyle. Second, runner up is the Hungarian Kuvasz Livestock Guardian Dog.
    http://www.singingfalls.com/pups.html

Scroll down to see a picture of Uzi the Kuvasz:
    http://www.singingfalls.com/alexandr...s/catland.html

Scroll down to read about the adults we have.

magnet-man: http://www.tymewyse.com/doxies/index.htm

She's my neighbor.

------------------
    the ~ox-{ at www.singingfalls.com
    If this message is edited it is because I have to correct my spelling again. 0_0

[This message has been edited by ox (edited December 05, 2004).]

&gt;HOLY COW BJORN you actually have a sense of humor

.....and it appears some insight, too.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>We raise Australian Shepherds and have for 25 years.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Working dogs have always impressed me. Watching a shepherd work cattle or sheep is amazing.

On the flip side, I owned a pair of Afghan Hounds once. Never, never, never get a dog specifically bred to herd, course, hunt, pull, etc. unless you can provide the herding, coursing, hunting, pulling that they live for 24/7. And while I'm on a rant...
    What's with chaining a dog up? Is it just my bias against chains and the people who use them, or has anyone else noticed that people who chain "guard" dogs up in their yards typically don't have anything worth stealing?

I have always hated seeing a dog, attached to a chain, and a big rut in the yard where he has done nothing but run aroung his so called house. I knew a nieghbor years ago who kept a beagle that way. In all the years growing up, I never saw that dog off that chain. They would fill the bowl once a day with food. That was the only contact I ever saw them make with the dog. I still remember that many years later.

I have always considered my animals, whatever they are, as part of the family. Although I do not partake in eating, rolling, and smelling like them, this is discouraged by my wife.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast