Default Punctuality in the Workplace; Excuses, Excuses

Please have a look at my latest block post regarding how big a deal being late is at work. I would really appreciate some feedback as to how strict the rules are in your business and why.
    http://www.hrdirector.ca/Blog.asp?id...xcuses-Excuses

Default Re: Punctuality in the Workplace; Excuses, Excuses

Being late is disrespectful to others, and if it happens more than very occasionally, shows the person is a self indulgent disorganised schmuck.

When I employed staff, latecomers were warned, then fired. Can you believe some people would even be late for a job interview, they didn't even get a look in.

Thanks for the feedback! You're not alone. Many feel just as you do that lateness is a sign of disrespect and disorganization, two qualities you don't want in your workforce.

My grandpa kept bees. I thought he was the bravest man alive.

I am never late, If I arrive an anything less than ten minutes early I feel late, it is simply my programing. And because of it I hold little regard for those who take a lackadaisical outlook toward punctuality. I once had a friend who was to ride with me to an event, I told him I was leaving at 3:00 when I next saw him he asked why I did not wait for him, I replied "I told you I was leaving at 3:00 and I did." that was the last time he was late when riding with me.
    Add to that, My work is one succession of time frames after another. Being late for the first one, results in a late finish time, thus the next project starts off time, and so on until the day runs out. working over cost me money as lights, heaters, compressors, ventilation, need to be kept running. To correct the exponential decay one must work faster, or drop a project from the schedule. Working faster often results in mistakes. Dropping a project from the schedule is lost money. Now if I tell Mr. late he is going to have to pay for the lost revenue. He will not stand for it. he will call wage and hourly, or god knows what. Better to get rid of him and cut my losses.

"If I am on time I am late" but this generation has no respect for start time, I have people come to the beekeeping club meeting an hour late then want to discuss something we talked about when we started and I could go on and on but then we would all bee late
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I'm a little OCD about being on time, especially if it involves air travel. Makes my wife crazy. I attribute it to beginning to learn to work in the early 60's when it was all about a fresh haircut, shined shoes, and being on time. I was just a kid, but the men who were hiring us for kid jobs hammered that into us.

Later on when the real jobs came along it was a point of pride to be at your desk before anyone else showed up, especially the boss.

I don't have regular hours now but being prompt for appointments and showings is still vital to gaining and keeping a customer. It's about respect.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

If the problem is occasional or they let me know that they are going to be late for a reasonable reason I don't get upset. Things happen like car problems and traffic. Such is life. If it gets to be chronic than I will explain that they need to shape up. If there is a need to travel and get somewhere on time and people are late that amplifies the level of frustration. I work well past quitting time often in order to keep up with last minute scheduled rush jobs and have perfect attendance so I would figure being late a couple times a year would be acceptable.

The time you spend doing something usually only becomes important when you under-perform expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshW View Post
    The time you spend doing something usually only becomes important when you under-perform expectations.
    That's a very true sentence.

So you asked for opinions; here's mine:
    There was very little useful information in the article.
    It was as if the article was written for the employees, not management.

The first real issue to address is the fact that recoveries for improper termination are sometimes tremendous.
    And a company's ATTENDANCE POLICY that is not complied with can and should eventually lead to termination, based on adherence with the company's DISCIPLINARY POLICY.
    These are policy's that are reviewed and signed during the employment process.

A typical attendance policy may allow for example up to 3 tardys per calendar month.
    On the 4th there is (as prescribed in the disciplinary policy) a verbal warning.
    An additional tardy within a described period will lead to a written warning signed by the employee.
    Next up is 3- day suspension.
    And last but not least termination.

Now remember, when the employee makes it all the way to termination, it is of their deliberate choice.
    They have fired themselves.

If I can show up for work every single day, on time, so can you.

On the other hand, if the employer is OK with the poor attendance, then they get what they deserve.

New employers that do not have an employee manual, (with all of the signed policy and safety documentation) should consider talking to an employers association for assistance.
    THEY DO NOT want to get stuck with a judgement for improper termination or on the other end be stuck with sloppy attendance.
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

Nice piece Chris.... where to begin. Well I am a generation x, military brat, American working in Europe, in Finance with a daily one hour minimum commute. Some of those factors strongly support an employees responsibility to work for the wages paid, some realistically suggest indeed its not a hill worth fighting for. At least in my workplace, work is heavily contracted with huge employee rights, while at the same time everyone has double responsibility compared to 5 yrs ago with less pay. That combined with an incredibly stressful environment where an individuals intellect and ability to save the day in exceptional circumstances means its really not a hill I am personally willing to fight for.

With that said, at the end of the day I am who I am, and you can be sure I remember the guy who shows up early and or stays late on top of personally being efficient at what he does. It's too bad that I don't have the ability to reward it beyond a thank you or a recommendation.

Here is a employee's view ,
    I for one strictly believe in being on time!! However my boss the owner does not, and it does not bother him if my co-workers are or are not on time.
    It bothers the heck out of me , HOWEVER he is a very fair man and has eyes.

When it came time for him to go to a monday night football game , he said Lee get your coat your coming with .
    When someones kid has a band concert or such, he insists they sneak out for a couple hours to go see them.
    Often work will run late , boss says Lee go ahead and head home the rest of us will finish up.

Basic respect will get both employers and employees, along way toward success.
    I recently just had 2 different banks ask me what we are doing down there because they are hearing a lot of good things.
    While a employer wants to know his workers will fight for him , the employee needs to know the employer will have his back.
    make sense ?

Lee

First, I always figure there are jobs where it matters and jobs where it doesn't matter. There are jobs where if you come in a hour late and stay an hour late it makes no difference as long as the work gets done. There are other jobs (and sometimes just certain days on the previous kind of jobs) where it matters because you are covering the phones or doing customer service, or there is a regular meeting and people will be expecting you at the meeting. In other words, something that involves other people who are counting on you being there.

Assuming it does matter, as a supervisor I never cared about excuses. Everyone is late once in a while. Life has unforeseen events. But a certain number of unforeseen events should be accounted for everyday. If you are late one or two days a month, I don't care about why, it's just normal life events. Everyone occasionally comes out to find a flat tire or a dead battery or a limb that fall on your car in the night. If you are late everyday, I also don't care what your excuse is, you are obviously not taking into account things that happen regularly enough that you should be taking them into account or are so poor at organizing and maintaining things that you can't really get anything done, let alone be on time. If you have a flat tire everyday, you're doing something wrong. If your battery is dead every morning, it's time to get a new battery. If something makes you ten minutes late everyday, obviously you should start 20 minutes earlier...

Of course many large companies have very strict rules so they can fire whoever they want whenever they want simply by referring to a rule that no one actually follows...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

As a property manager, I have to show a lot of rental properties. Some people just stand me up. Others are late. I wait 15 minutes and leave. I will give people a second chance if they call and make an excuse right away. The next time I only wait 5 minutes. If they stand me up twice, I am not going to rent to them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw2012 View Post
    Here is a employee's view ,make sense ? Lee
    Yes. You make perfect sense.
    But you may be mixing up things a bit.

As was stated before, some jobs do not revolve around the clock.
    If the boss or the job does not require a strict schedule; that's great!

The examples you give remind me of a really great boss that I worked for when my kids were little.
    One of the first things he told me was, "I don't ever want to hear about you missing your son's scout meeting for work. FAMILY COMES FIRST!"

But your examples and mine are EXCUSED ABSENCES.
    Having a doctor appointment, going to a funeral, jury duty,; there are a lot of legitimate reasons to occasionally miss work or show up late. (pre-planned)

This discussion however is not about any of that.
    It is about chronic lateness and cockamamie excuses.

Being "late" assumes that you were EXPECTED to show up on time.
    And unlike the OP, I don't see anything funny about tardiness in that instance one little bit.
    You either want the job or you don't.
    But I'm from the old school.
    And if you work for me you attend the old school.
    Otherwise, I am just like your boss.
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

A single late offense is simply that.

Repeated late offenses end up in a discussion as to why. If there is a specific why...bus route not meshing with start time, getting kids out the door doesn't mesh with start...then we try to alter the start time to one that is going to work for the employee. If we set a new start time for them and they are late that is officially warning one. On warning three you don't come back the next day and you don't get severance pay.
    If you are late and don't have a very good reason you are told the next time you are late is warning one of three.
    I expect my staff to be ready to work at start time..they have changed, gone to the bathroom and had coffee and breakfast. Walking through the door at start time doesn't cut it. They don't appreciate told they have to work in a coat, boots and touque until break time.
    They are quick to mark down overtime so they should be ready to work on time.
    Not being on time is theft...time theft. Theft is a firing offense in our business.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

Used to have an auto repair shop. Had a guy that worked for me that was 15-20 minutes late everyday. It was disrespectful to the business and to customers who are coming in and have an scheduled appointment for first thing in the morning. Guy was a great technician though. Tried hard to make it work out. After several talks and promises of being not going to be late again, he was given the option of either be on time or don't come in. While that hurt business to an extent, we where able to cover our other waits and his, it hurt his pocket book. Shortly after that warning he should up to work late again, by about 20 minutes, so sent him home. He lived about 30 minutes from the shop. Not sure if I was wrong to have the policy or not, but being late to work is something that I have always had a hard time with tolerating. To me if a place opens at 8 that means you are there and ready to go at 8. I realize the things do happen and I have no problem with that. While it's possible sending him home may sound harsh, we took very good care of our employees. We where a small shop and everyone was close. However when it's a pattern of being late, there's a problem. Didn't let him go over that, and after a couple times being sent home after showing up late, he started showing up on time regularly. The fact that he was such a good technician helped him keep his job, but not by much. Being late, especially regularly is disrespectful, damaging to business, and selfish. It puts a lot of burden on other people, including your boss, the customers/clients, and your coworkers. Everyone has to pick up your slack. I'm going to end this post here. It's a topic that bothers me a lot, and I'm dragging out my response because I'm having difficulty trying to explain what myself, or making sure I'm getting my point and feeling on the matter across. Short version is it is a serious matter and should be strictly enforced. I cut some slack on it and probably shouldn't have.

Good reply CMJ208.

Not quite such good news about the guy who started this thread. I checked him out, turns out he is a non beekeeper who describes himself as a "social media marketer".

His only contribution to Beesource is this thread, in which he said nothing about bees but did link a non bee related web article of his hoping to attract viewers.

Here's my policy. Ummmm, guess I don't have one. We've never had a time clock. Work typically starts at 8 although sometimes (usually when bees need moved) it may well start before sunup. Work ends at 6 unless it's already 5, there is one more yard to do, and your 30 miles from home. (Sorry honey, running late tonight). Coffee breaks? What are those? Winter time hours are more like 9 to 5, unless there is the prospect for good ice fishing. The key is getting the job done and having everyone on board with a commonly shared goal. I'm very flexible but I'm also into reminding everyone what has to be accomplished and why and I expect the help to have a similar mindset.
    With that said there are lots of exceptions. When something unforeseen comes up, I never say no and never dock pay. If the kids have a big ball game tonight and you need to get off at 4. Heck yes, there is nothing more important than family. Gotta get off early on Friday for a week end with the wife? Hmmmm. So does everybody else, tell ya what, let's get started really early Friday and work like crazy till about 1 and then everyone get the heck out of here and have a fun weekend. That's the nice thing about this business, we don't serve the public so we have that luxury.
    Wait, I guess I do have a policy......its "go hard, then go home".
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I have to say-punctuality is more dependent on exempt or non exempt. As a salaried employee, I am expected to get my work done independent of hours I have to work. Even though I have a stated start time, it is pretty flexible. If I am 10-30 mins late-does it matter if I am online an additional 3-4 hours each evening (as long as I am not late for meetings)? No, not if my work is being completed and completed above standard. Same is true for how many hours an employee works; if the same amount and quality of work is being done by one person in 35 hours and it takes someone else 45+.