Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question

I know that many people who keep bees live in rural areas with no cable/DSL/wireless internet access.

Where I live, in Duplin County, NC the dial up connects about 19-20KBPS and is very slow but cost only $6.50/month. My house is wired with CAT-5 cable (both phone and ethernet). The limiting factor is NOT my house phone wiring. So, I have a 1-way satellite. I get downloads of about 75KBPS although most ads state 100-400 KBPS. My mother lives in town and has cable internet. Her download speeds are about 300 KBPS.

My satellite fee is about $42 per month for unlimited access. I see others advertising 100MB download limit at 400 KBPS for $30 + $0.17 per MB for the downloads over 100MB.
    My signal strength is 74% in the Summer and 80% in the Winter (due to leaf drop from trees).

Does anyone have any experience with a cheaper/faster solution?

Steve

UPDATE:
    I just ran a bandwith tester from http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/bandwidth.asp

The results were 163 kilobits per second download speed.

Steve

I must be lucky, I just ran the above download test and download speed was 5274 kbs. -cable modem-

368kbps, cable, bout $40 a month.

Sad

I have a rotten situation. I am STUCK with dial up. Cox Cable is not allowed on my side of the river. The cable company that serves my area is out of ALABAMA even though I live in Florida, and of course..... they do not offer internet services.

Another great function of the wonderful government regulation we have today.

------------------
    It's Not The Destination, It's The Journey. We Cannot Change The Wind, But We CAN Trim The Sails.

Today is a good day. I have a 24K dialup connection. I tried the one way sattelite and when it did work, it wasn't too bad. But it often didn't work and finally it quit altogether. I spend four months trying to get them to shut it off and after weeks of being on hold finally found a human being to shut it off. I will not do business with them again.

I really wish I had an alternative, but in the country, I have none, so far. Maybe someday they will have DSL or ADSL or cable out here, but so far it hasn't happened.

I have a steady 26.5 KPS baud rate. I'm accustomed to it. I would love broadband but so it goes for the trade offs of country living.

------------------
    the ~ox-{ at www.singingfalls.com
    If this message is edited it is because I have to correct my spelling again. 0_0

26 Kb/s here too.20 bucks a month dial up.

Loggermike,

Try 650dialup.com for $6.50 a month dialup. I used to use them before satellite and was satisfied.

I am satisfied with my current 1-way satellite, but am looking for a cheaper satellite company.

My current 1-way system was installed by me and the phone support is less than perfect. However, I have been able to make it work and to share it on my home network.

Steve

Thanks,I checked it out but they dont have any local numbers for this area.DSL hasnt made it here yet.I'm not complaining-A little over 4 years ago I didnt even know what the internet was!

[This message has been edited by loggermike (edited September 25, 2004).]

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

I have a 2-way satellite hook-up. Downloads tested at 633kb/s. Uploads are slower than downloads.

The service can be weather affected.

No cable, cable modem, DSL, or DSLN available here. I am the last person on the phone line services and my dial speeds were on a good day 1.6 - 2.3 kb/s and on very bad days 600 b/s.

The satellite service is not cheap @ $69.00/month, but I have no choice for work.

I would have big project downloads that would take 6 - 7 hours to download.

I use a dial up at home and get actual sustained speeds of about 2.5KBps. The stupid little thing microsoft has that say what you connection "speed" is, is wrong. If it says 54.5K you are still only getting about 3K SUSTAINED. Check it with a speed tester if you don't believe me. Also keep in mind that when you test you are only gettting the rate at that moment. I get burst rate of 13 or 14K somtimes, but that is hardly my real speed. Same applies to cable modems and DSL. Cable folks, try an upload of a few hundred Megs sometime. I think you will be dissapointed. 50K tops on most outgoing cable modems. DSL's are fequenty throttled also. Everyone should get REAL numbers before they decide what to do. Right now I am typing on my compaines T line. Honest to goodness 1.44M/sec confirmed and guaranteed. All I can say is that for POTS don't pay more than $10/month unless you have no choice. Mine costs 10 bucks and I get a modem on the other end. What more do I need.

jfischer Guest

Don't try this at home, kids, but we have
    "Fiber to The Farm", direct to the router
    in the basement from the local telco (Verizon)
    central office.
    Its a T-3, 45 megabits per second.
    There is also a fail-over spare, just in case.

You don't want to know what it costs, but
    its worth it, as my little company manages
    and monitors networks for ISPs and companies
    with large internal networks.

Bandwidth? Heck, we'd have to run tcpblast
    on at least a Sun Enterprise class server
    to be able to approach the maximum burst rate
    possible.

Well, let me make sure my point was made. It is not the fact that I live in the sticks and therefore CANNOT have access to the Internet via cable, it is the fact that the GOVERNMENT won't ALLOW them to cross the Yelloow river. Even though we have the same zip code and post office and telephone service, we can't have the same cable service. That is absurd.

I say let the market take care of itself. If I want cable internet service, I should be able to get it if someone is willing to sell it to me.

------------------
    It's Not The Destination, It's The Journey. We Cannot Change The Wind, But We CAN Trim The Sails.

That government you're talking about is your local town counsel. They took a payoff from the highest bidder to allow only 1 cable franchise to have exclusive access to the area. Hopefully the payoff went into the general fund to pay for things that the whole town can use like new fire stations or plush offices where you can visit your town counsel members.

I don't like the way cable franchises have been handled either but an unregulated land grab would be even worse. How many cable companies do you want digging through the right of ways on your property?

>I don't like the way cable franchises have been handled either but an unregulated land grab would be even worse. How many cable companies do you want digging through the right of ways on your property?

Five or six would be better than none. None is how many I have now.

jfischer Guest

> the GOVERNMENT won't ALLOW them to cross
    > the Yelloow river. Even though we have
    > the same zip code...

> I say let the market take care of itself.
    > If I want cable internet service, I should
    > be able to get it if someone is willing to
    > sell it to me.

It can, and you can too.
    Get a pair of these, and give one to a
    friend who is within the cable system,
    and also in line-of-sight with your place. http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/666e/

$50.00 retail, so you can't beat the price.
    They work well. We have a similar scheme
    connecting schools in Franklin County VA
    with high-speed private links, and the only
    problems were early on, due to poor alignment
    on one antenna.

"$50.00 retail, so you can't beat the price."

I could beat it with FREE.

All you need is a surplus satellite TV dish and a cheap USB wireless adaptor. I grabbed a dish that a neighbor was discarding and got a free TN-200 adaptor (the $5 shipping was already covered because of another purchase I made at the same time). A couple of 6' USB extenders that I already had lying around complete the connection. The limiting factor with this setup is the short USB cable.

If you watch for deals you can pick up a wireless router for $10-$20 You need to find one that will work as a bridge. Don't bother with external antennas, cable and special connectors. Just mount the whole router at the focus of the dish (in a weatherproof enclosure of course). One dish with clear line of sight to the other access point could give you about a 1 mile range. Two dishes pointed at each other should be good for 5 to 10 miles. With real antenna feeds you could get much more. One test reached 3 Km with a dish only on the receiving end.

Angry

My local cable company has a cable along the road in front of my property. However, since my home is 700 feet from the road they want $3500 installation fee. I am too far from phone exchange for DSL. I got/tried/canceled wireless (low signal strenght= low speeds but high price). I have considered two way satellite but my company's VPN access most likely will not work so I cannot justify the up front cost. And I only live 55 miles from downtown DC.

[This message has been edited by JohnBeeMan (edited September 28, 2004).]

Some of the 2-way satellite services offer what they claim is a smart VPN that solves the satellite delay problem. What they do is terminate the VPN tunnel at the satellite NOC and run the connection unencrypted over the satellite link. They claim this is safe because it takes special equipment to receive and decode the satellite signal. (never mind that it would only require a few minor hacks to convert the same equipment they provide you into an interceptor )

As for running a 700 foot drop from the cable, to your house, the biggest problem is signal loss at the higher frequencies. I was able to dig up enough numbers to make an initial guess of what it will take.

The standard limit for the drop cable is something like 150ft using RG6 coax. This has a loss of about 14dB @ 900 MHz. Extending to 700ft the loss would be 65dB (resulting in essentially no usable signal). By upgrading the cable to RG11 the loss is brought down to 34dB. If you install a 20dB bidirectional inline amplifier in the middle of this run the loss is brought back down to 14dB. The cost is on the order of $300 for the coax and about $200 for the amplifier and power injector plus the labor to dig the trench and install everything. The 14dB loss is marginal so you might need to find an even better coax which will cost even more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast