i am looking at getting a .22 for target shooting, pinging cans etc.

any suggestions for a good quality decent priced .22 ?

currently i am looking at a henryrepeating.com Golden Boy 22

------------------
    NH Beekeeper

** Have you seen BeeBlogs.com ?

A friend of mine bought a Henry .22 lever action for his son and has had a lot of problems with it from jamming to parts of the action falling off. The company has apparently responded well to his requests to fix it but it has been a big headache. That's only a sample of one so I can't say if it's a symptom of bigger problems or only a fluke.

It is hard to go wrong with a Ruger 10/22 i have one that has had no problems at all.

Hard to beat Remington. Especially the old ones. Can be real tack drivers and the mechanisms are generally very reliable and parts can be found pretty easily.

------------------
    It's Not The Destination, It's The Journey. We Cannot Change The Wind, But We CAN Trim The Sails.

[This message has been edited by Sharkey (edited October 28, 2004).]

Forget the .22 cal. If you want a great gun for shooting cans, etc, that can also be used on coyotes, squirrels, go for the .17 cal that is on the market now. Cost is comparable to the .22(I paid $120 for my savage), and is a great gun. PP

For a knock around gun the 10/22 can't be beat, and it can be made accurate with all the aftermarket parts out there nowadays. Price range $125 for bottom model to $375 for target.

I was using a Remington 541 in competition for a while, until a few of us found out that the CZ 452 varmint would outshoot anything in it's price range. Very solid, tooled and made like a centerfire rifle. The bore is even polished from the factory like the more expensive Kimber. It will run you just over $300.

If you are ready to step up to the plate the Kimber is the best I have seen, but costs almost three times more.

Wal-Mart has a Remington .22 for 75.00

Just got one for my 9 yr old for his 10th bday.

Very cool gun for the price. semi 10 rnd clip grey in color with dove tails cut for a scope.
    H

Pumpkin what do you like about the .17 over a .22? which model do you have?

i am looking to spend only around $150 or so.

the ruger looks nice however my boy just turned 8 so i am going to start him off with my daisy bb shooter that i grew up with as a kid and i am upgrading to a new .22 or maybe .17 (i didnt even know about .17's) into the big leagues for me

------------------
    NH Beekeeper

** Have you seen BeeBlogs.com ?

I love my 10/22. The only issue I had is after about 3000 rounds without cleaning it began to not function. The bolt just would not return to battery. I little cleanup in work's sonicator and it was like new again. Get the synthetic stock as they are much lighter than the wood. I find it way handy around the house. Can't hunt with it in PA though, no semi's.

nh, the .17 has been on the market just a few years, but has taken off like a bull. My brother is a gunsmith for gander mountain, and he sells 10 .17's for every 1 .22. The .17 has much better tragectory, powder load, and accuracy in my opinion. PLUS, it's a great small predator weapon also. Last year I got 11 coyotes with it. Great "yote" gun out to 100 yds. The ammo is slightly more $ than .22, but as more folks shoot them, it will drop in price. I think I pay $4 for a box of 50 for plastic tip exploding rounds.PP

Sad

P.P. Do you have any problem finding amunition for your .17 ? In my area they don't seem to stock it. Ron

------------------

The .22 LR bricks are still awfully cheap compared to the new .17. Of coures the .17 is much cheaper than a .223 or other higher velocity round.

My favorite is an old Marlin single shot rolling block. Its not fancy but it shoots straight.

If the gun is a starter rifle for a child around 8 I would look for a youth model in a bolt action. The semis are great for those of us with experience but a kid imho should not start out with something he can forget to put the safety on and keep pumping rounds off because he got scared or excited. The youth models are quite inexpensive and shoot just fine. The shorter stock also makes proper shooting technique a lot easier on those with shorter arms and even shorter attention spans. Good luck and have fun.