Question

I'm going to try to make spaghetti sauce, and the recipe calls for "salad oil" Is salad oil vegetable oil, or olive oil, or what ?

And how many tomatoes is in a bushel?

Smile

Hmmm, well I have a 25 pound box of tomatoes and there are about 40 tomatoes. I would think that salad oil would not come from animal fats.

Prolly vegetable oil. I like olive better though. It's vitamin E if I remember correctly.

Hope the sauce is just what the pallet(sp) ordered.

Salad oil is pretty much a light tasting (no flavor oil). I use olive oil. Since you're cooking with it, don't use a fancy expensive one, just a good extra virgin olive oil (abbreviated to XVO) or just a virgin olive oil (VO).

When is supper?

Pugs

hey thanks !!! I figure in a few days I'll have enough tomates to start the adventure, couldn't possibly be that difficult, although I am noted for burning stuff to a crisp.

I just finished making 20 jars of seedless blackberry jelly. It smells great, although I think blackberry wine may have been a better idea.

Rooster, I wanted some blackberry cobler SO BAD so I went to the store to get a can of blackberries and there was none.

I was so dissapointed.

Oh well, I brought back a half bushel of peaches while traveling through Tenn,, and so I cooked up a peach cobbler. It was real good but nothing is better IMO, then blackberry cobbler...

Daisy,

Have you tried Marionberry cobbler? Hmmmmmm. Like blackberry only better. I think they are only grown here in the Pacific Northwest. Too fragile to ship far. Boy are they good!

Pugs

Morning Pugs

I've never heard of marionberry before. Boy, if it's better then blackberry, I'd be in trouble for sure. ;0)

I guess they aren't sold round here.

[This message has been edited by Daisy (edited August 07, 2004).]

Marionberry? I'm expecting a bad joke about Marion Barry -- which would mandate that coke be in the recipe. For those who don't know, Barry was the mayor of Washington DC who was convicted of cocaine possession, served time in prison, and amazingly (or sadly) enough was promptly re-elected to office. That speaks volumes about most of the folks that live there.

Hi Daisy,

Here is a link describing various blackberries and the marionberry. You might want to read the section on other blackberries which is just before the marionberry section.

It is considered a blackberry, something I didn't know.

Sorry, I don't know how to make the link clickable on this site yet.
    http://www.oregon-berries.com/cx1/cx1a.htm

Pugs

Hey Thanks for the link Pugs....

I learn something new everyday. Life is so wonderful.

Daisy,

You're welcome. Always happy to help people learn new things about Oregon.

Pugs