In one of the llama groups that I belong to a members animal was bitten by a copperhead. Can anybody offer suggestions for ridding a farm of them? What is the best predator that will kill snakes without harassing llamas? What mistakes do people commonly make that might encourage copperheads to set up housekeeping on their property?
    Thanks
    George

I am no expert, but they like brush piles, stack lumber, also they like water, so keeping these at a minimum helps. Also keep grass short .
    Nathaniel

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>What mistakes do people commonly make that might encourage copperheads to set up housekeeping on their property?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't mean to be wise guy, but did the copperheads come in on a Greyhound and set up or were they already there when folks decided to introduce a completely foreign species into their habitat? Once you start trying to control one thing, all the rest of the critters that balance your little corner of the world will start exploding or disappear. Be prepared for more rodents and their leg-breaking burrows and their hanta-virus diseases if you kill off the snakes. Then the coyotes (and wolves if they'e been re-introduced anywhere close by) will move in. When they've depredated the bunnies and rodents, they'll start in on Muffy and Fluffy. It just goes on and on. Figure out a way to mimimize the killing of the snakes if you can.

Arrow

Everything in this world has a place. It is a cycle. To brake one spoke it will affect the others, soon the wheel of life brakes.
    I'd just keep an eye out for them. There is not much you can do. They are part of the preditor prey thing.
    I think, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the snake first there and you moved into it's house?
    I agree with coyote.
    Dan

[This message has been edited by bjerm2 (edited July 27, 2004).]

I also keep honeybees, another "completely foreign species." I suppose the bees host a certain amount of varroa mites and tracheal mites, yet more "completely foreign species." And yes, I will try to eradicate any mites that I may find among the bees. Between that and the number of bugs smashed on the windshield of my pickup it's a wonder there are any spokes left in the wheel of life around here!
    George

mattoleriver
    Ok here is a biological way to rid an area of ANY snakes without killing them. Use cedar chips. You don't need a thick mat but enough to make a 1 inch thick barrier and about 6 inches wide. I hope that's not to hard to do. Don't know how big an area your looking at. You can use it under neath your fence line. The oil and sent they give off affects the snakes and does not kill them but makes them go away.
    As far as the bugs go, well if it weren't for the bugs your truck would always be clean. Can't have that. Hey wait then there are the birds.
    Dan

[This message has been edited by bjerm2 (edited July 28, 2004).]

Minimize cover for prey species. Keep the grass short and remove brush piles and such. You could also go to the extent of poisoning the mice and rats. No prey, no predator.

Arrow

&lt;poisoning the mice and rats&gt;

That would not be the only ones poisoned. Since they eat grain the birds, squirrels, chipmunks, just to name a few other animals would also eat that. Then how about the llamas, they also eat grain. Then the other predators such as owls, hawks, cats, dogs, etc. accidentally eating one of the rats or mice? I lost a Siberian husky that way. Ate a rat that had eaten decon in it. My fault.

The snake likes to eat
    In the wild: Mice, small birds, frogs, insects. In zoos, they are fed rodents, lizards, and frogs. Guess you also need to get rid of these.

see
    http://users.bestweb.net/~habitat/Co...ad%20Snake.htm
    http://www.manbir-online.com/htm2/snake.13.htm

I really don't think there is much you can do. Hate to be a pessimist but there are a lot of them out there and your in their house. Just be careful while being out there. These two sights (there are more) might help you come up with a plan. I also have snakes in my area, rattlers, and same as you. Just keep an eye out. I use a 357 magnum with bird shot in it. I was surprised that people actually keep them as pets! Wow.

Dan

Round here they keep horses in with their llamas...

You can sell those copperhead skins for $35 to $40 or more a pair to bowyers. They like them 24" to 30" long. All you have to do is skin them and air dry them and sell them on Ebay. The tighter the pattern and the better the color condiditon the more they will bring.

&lt;Can anybody offer suggestions for ridding a farm of them? &gt;

Move the farm to South America.

Wink

Bull or Gopher snakes, when I was kid I'd catch bull snakes and sell them to Orchard owners in Ca for a dollar a foot, the snakes would eat the rodents that attracted the rattle snakes and Bull/Gopher snakes will eat insects small birds and are not restricted to rodents, once the rodents are gone the copper heads and rattlers will move on as their is no food source.

------------------
    'WHEN WE CLOSE OUR EYES WE ALL LOOK THE SAME' GWPW 03

don't know if you've got them there,but black snakes will drive off copperheads.that's what all the old timers do around here.