Anyone out there have ant problems, in the house or other places? I have concocted a recipe that I use in a sprayer and also use as drops for the ants to eat and take home to the queen. It is a slow poison but it will work.
Formula contains 5.4% Boric acid, and 94.6% inert ingredient.
Boric acid 0.324 oz (141.75 grains - gun powder scale measurement)
inert 5.676 oz (2,483.25 grains - gun powder scale measurement)
Inert ingredient = 1 cup sugar + 1 and 1/2 cup water + 2 table spoons honey.
Bring water to a slow boil and boric acid, mix till dissolve, next add sugar, honey. Keep stirring till all is dissolved on a low flame. Let cool. Place several drops in area where ants are using their trails. Keep feeding them (don't want them to get hungry). Results in 2 - 3 days. All will be dead in 5 days. Stragglers will just be wandering around aimlessly. This poison is made to kill the queen so it is a slow working one but very effective. It kills the whole colony.
As a spray I kick or dig open the colony and spray it with a pump sprayer soaking the whole batch of ants, eggs, etc with the stuff. I do that several times.
I hope this works for you as well as it does for me.
I know that plain boric does the trick too...
Or so I've been told..
Yes it does but you want them to ingest it and take it home. As long as the queen lives you will keep having the ants. Well I guess there here to stay too but at least I can limit the numbers.
I see, well I didn't know they wouldn't carry it home on their bodies anyway...
But that does sound like a sure fire way to get them iradicated...
I don't have problems with ants but if I did, that would be real handy to know.
[This message has been edited by Daisy (edited July 06, 2004).]
Everytime I check on my hives I have ants crawling all over them. The carpenter ants are giving me heck. I couple of times I have had little piles of sawdust at the edges of the bottom board. I've tried boric acid. Seems to work for while. Might try this solution next.
Is boric acid toxic to honeybees? If so, I would hesitate to use this near my hives. Also, carpenter ants aren't "sweet eaters" like the others, so it may not work as well there. Good Luck.
I use Ants No More ant bait and bait station.
It is a three inch green plastic container with a stake on the bottom. There are holes that let only ants and small bugs inside. The ants must crawl up into the station to get the poisen. Once eaten, they carry it back to the colony to feed the queen ant.
Specially designed for sweet, grease, and protein forraging ants.
Manufactured by Blue Diamond Ext. & Mfg. Co. Inc.
Distributed by Kness Mfg. Co. Inc. No. 65688
Contact person, Steve Cooper 2053 Hwy. 5 So. PO Box 70 Albia, Ia. 52531-0070
I would try to construct a physical barrier to keep the ants out. One way would be to raise the hive on stilts set in a mote of oil with a rain shield to keep the oil from being washed out.
Another option is to build an electric fence around the hive made of strips of copper foil and charged with a 9-volt battery (except that this one is already patented (as seen on "Invent This") but maybe not the application for bee hives). If you keep it clean there is no current flowing (unless an ant tries to cross) so an alkaline battery should last 1 or more years.
In both these systems you need to keep grass and weeds below the level of the barrier or they will form a bridge that the ants will use.
I based my formula on Revenge, Agway and Walmart sell this stuff but its expencive compaired to what I have made. My carpenter ants ate it. The larva need some sweets just like the adults. True they like protine but they also need the sweets, just like the bees. Yes boric acid is bad for the bees but if you put it under a cover so ants can get to it and not the bees then you have no problems.