Thread: buttermilk

There are two kinds of people. People who love buttermilk and that hate it. I happen to think buttermilk is wonderful. When we were kids a half gallon of buttermilk would disappear in about 10 minutes at our house. Buttermilk is good with pickles {new find}, beans and cornbread, barbq tater chips, and just plain good drinking. It helps me go to sleep after a 3 am. service call. It fills you up and satifys when on a diet. Borden regular butter milk is about 2 percent butterfat. Its good for making salad dressings and dips. I find after a sweat drenching 12 hour day working in the Texas coastal heat and humidity, buttermilk hits the spot. 5 years ago we had a long drawn out job for ADM and I happened upon a great cooldown combo. First drink one quart gatorade next drink one quart of LONESTAR beer and finish off with one quart BORDENS COUNTRY STORE Buttermilk. This along with a bag of chips will rehydrate you after a hot one!! We do not have the higher quality milk products of some other parts of the country but in TEXAS Borden brand buttermilk is the best that I have ever found. It will last months past its exp. date; some say because it is rotten to start with. Buttermilk is also a must for making biscuits and cornbread. What is your favorite buttermilk in your area of the country.

Thumbs down

YUK==PHOOOOOY

Only Vermonters and Texans and we are so far apart.

Ooooh yeah, I like nice cold buttermilk and fresh baked cookies. The only buttermilk that I find around here is low fat, is all buttermilk low fat? I'm a full fat kinda guy!
    George

Have you tried the buttermilk from Braum's? I'm not a buttermilk drinker, but my other half is, and he says it's better than any of the brands in the grocers around here.

>Ooooh yeah, I like nice cold buttermilk and fresh baked cookies. The only buttermilk that I find around here is low fat, is all buttermilk low fat? I'm a full fat kinda guy!

I only buy whole milk so I know what you mean, but I think y'all forgot what buttermilk is. You take fresh raw milk (not the pasturized or homogenized kind you get at the store, the kind that comes out of a cow), and you skim off the cream and put it in the churn. You leave it until it's clabbered nicely then you churn it until you get butter at the top and buttermilk at the bottom. Buttermilk does not have the fat in it by definition. It's the left over part of making real butter.

Borden
    Last edited by James Urbish; 03-30-2008 at 05:29 PM.

I'm not fat and I put half and half on my cereal and whipping cream in my coffee. And my cholesterol is fine too. In fact quite low. I also eat the yolks of the eggs and only about half the whites. The yolks are the best part. I also eat as much red meat as I can.

It's not the buttermilk I mind, it's the way the glass lokks when I'm finished.

Dickm

Theres only two good things that come from cows. One of them is steak and the other aint worth eating. Goat milk rules!

Put that on your strawberries ! Ha !!!!!

Buttermilk? Yeah, you can buy it here if you have way too much money.

Nah, its Kefir for me, tastes better anyhow :P

Cinnamon

As everyone knows there really are only two kinds of people. The kind of people who divide people into two groups and the kind that don't.

Buttermilk. Love it. Husband thinks it's gross, but he admits that it's useful in cooking. Still, I miss the kind that actually has little chunks of butter in it. I think Knudsen's did, but that's a west coast brand and unavailable now.

kathy