Thread: Bowfishing

Hybrid View

From "traditional archers thread"

"What is the "stalking" technique for carp hunting? My Grandfather has ponds and too many carp."

It depends on the type of water your bowfishing, i.e. creeks, lakes, rivers & ponds. It also depends on the technique your using to match the water conditions i.e water temp, clarity, and structure in the water such as logs, large rocks etc.
    Around here (Indiana) I like bowfishing ponds when the dandelions start to bloom,
    water temp is about 67 (that induces the carp to spawn in the shallow water) and when the sun is low in the sky so I don't cast shadows that spook the fish. I think bowfishing is easiest when the carp are in spawning mode and with their splashing up next to the bank (it's easier to stalk them while their thinking of other things). I also agree that polarised glasses and a ball cap are a must to reduce glare when the sun is higher.
    When bowfishing privately owned ponds after spawning season, I will bait an area dumping a couple large cans of corn under an overhanging tree in about 1'-2' of water the night before and wait for targets in the shade of the tree the next morning. If there are no trees, get your polarized glasses and a ball cap stay low and slowly stand and draw back when you see the target.
    I use a "stalking technique" when bowfishing in smaller creeks or tributaries during the summer months. The fish seem to spook easier here than in spillways and other busy parts of the water. I like to see where the target is heading then make a wide path from the creekside edge and wait in the shade of an overhanging tree (mulberry trees are the best).
    Aiming is easiest when carp are in the shallows (spawning or feeding) and you can aim just below and a little forward of a tailfin exposed above the water. Bowfishing deeper water takes a little more practice and I then prefer using a compound. The deeper the target is in the water the more you need to compensate for the refraction of the target. It just takes a little more practice. I use to practice by tying a piece of foam on a string and rock and sinking it at different target zones.
    Bowfishing tackle is a another can of worms but I think simpler is better.

I have never done any bow fishing. When I was a kid my uncle had an archery/taxidermy shop in houston and kept me well supplied with arrows.But Now I am into spearfishing with SCUBA we go out to the oil rigs in the gulf of mexico and spear red snapper and amberjack usually . A lot of your description sound familiar .We practice in freshwater lakes in off season .when we can't find fish we practice on milk jugs tied to rocks. when you bait with corn are you using canned corn? some of my friends use dry corn soaked in a 5 gallon bucket for several days and allowed to ferment dump half the bucket where you intend to fish the night before and the next day dump the rest about an hour before you are ready to start.wheat or milo also works.some places have carp spearing contests .at one of the lakes I dive in the carp hang around the dock where the fish cleaning station is .they seam rather curious under water they come by take a quick look at you and disappear giving just a second for a quick shot.

Question

Frog gigging? We usually use a .22 long rifle. But that damages Papa's banks. Anyone use a archery gig?
    Waya

I've always wanted to go spearfishing. I got my PADI open-water certification in school but haven't been in the water since (except a little snorkleing)I've been hooked on the "survivor" shows lately and love watching them spearfish especially when richard hatch got zapped in the underside elbow by that little shark.
    I've been froggin using a recurve and a wheat light on my hat at night and I use regular target arrows and drill a small hole through the tip side of the arrow, then run a 3-4" piece of hanger through,bend back slightly to use as a barb. Works well but wouldn't want to do this in gator country at night!

"some of my friends use dry corn soaked in a 5 gallon bucket for several days and allowed to ferment dump half the bucket where you intend to fish the night before and the next day dump the rest about an hour before you are ready to start.wheat or milo also works"

Just wanted to mention I think joens has a much better way to bait a private pond prior to bowfishing. I'd think that grain or cracked corn from you local elevator would be better than canned corn epecially after it has fermented a bit. I'm not sure how much (if any) catfish will eat but would think you could pick your targets in the daylight.