Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Any of you guess into longbows or recurves? Flinging a few sticks?

Clay

[This message has been edited by Clayton (edited December 25, 2003).]

Hey Clayton,

I used to be traditionalist, but lack of time and laziness has culminated in me going to a compound (plus a great deal on a great compound bow). I have a friend at work that builds his own bows. He has also developed a new arrow head. He has dropped a 141 B&C with his long bow and his new style of broad head. I've been trying to convince him to sell them online. What do you hunt with yours?

Mark

I like long bows. I have a couple of light ones, but would like a serious hunting one. I used to hunt with a compound with sights and was pretty good at that, but am not that good at instinctive shooting because I never seem to find time to shoot anymore. I bought the compound because at the time you couldn't find a serious long bow anywhere. Now there are quite a few to choose from.

I hunt deer. I would really like to hunt bear or birds in the future. I also love to target shoot too. I ain't that great a shot cause a spend too much time with my bees :>

Here is a link for buying good taditional (used) bows: http://www.women-outdoors.com/cgi-bi...lassifieds.cgi

Here is a link to the bowyers site that built my longbow. His bows are really excellent!
    http://www.7lakeslongbow.com/

Jeff makes mean bows too:
    http://www.stickbow.com/massie/

Clayton,

Please practice more BEFORE you decide to hunt bear. I would recommend hunting beer first. I find it is easier to track. We need you to moderate this site too much. I have heard horror stories about archers not getting a clean kill and living to regret it. Carry a .44 just in case.

Mark

>I would recommend hunting beer first.

I assume this is a typo. But beer is probably easier to hunt.

>We need you to moderate this site too much.

Kinda selfish huh?

>I have heard horror stories about archers not getting a clean kill and living to regret it. Carry a .44 just in case.

And I've heard horror stories about archers not getting a clean kill and NOT living to rregret it.

Big Grin

Is beer hunting a combination of bear + deer hunting? You shoot whatever you see first?
    Or that's what you tell your wife it is and really you are going after the beverage?
    Just make sure you have a designated shooter!
    D.

I love archery probably more than rifles. But I have a personal rule with the bow, I won't hunt unless I have put in the proper practice.

Did I mention that I like old winchesters speifically model 1892's and 1894's (old ones).

I have at this time:

model 1892 38-40 (it dates at 1897)
    model 1892 32-20
    model 1894 32-40
    model 1894 30-30 (from the 50's no big deal)

I sold my 1894 32 special with octagon barrel (dumb move on my part)

I have a few marlins too
    A few remmintons.

Almost all my guns date before 1925.

Hunting beer wasn't a typo. I find they congregate in schools that are multiples of six and they don't run too fast. Actually if you ask very nicely they will come to you after a really long day at work. But they too can be dangerous.

Merry Christmas

Mark

I'm not, but my husband is, and he has his bows built by Mark Horne of Horne's Archery. Mark makes custom bows, (long bows and recurves) that are a dream to shoot. My husband has been shooting for about forty years, and highly recommends him. He has a large variety of exotic woods to choose from and will make it to your specs for your needs. If you need his number, let me know. He also has an ad in Traditional Bowhunter magazine, usually inside the front cover.

beer hunting is popular here too,you can tell by all the emptys at the bottom of the tree stands.

Another compound guy here. I hunt elk in New Mex every year. (Have taken 2) Other than beekeeping it gives my retired life a focus. I practice a lot before and during the season. I consider I'm ready when they all stay on a pie plate at 40 yds. I wrote a story for "Bugle" magazine 4-5 years ago titled "Is there elk hunting after 60", about me and my hunting buddies. I hit 70 this year so I may have to rewrite it. I find beer hunting to be better after the sun goes down. I lower the bag limit if I have to drive.

Dick Marron

Coyote,
    Thanks for the invite. I usually come through Shiprock and south on what used to be 666. I hunt out of Grants. Send some directions and #s to my private e-mail.

Dick Marron

This was (is for a few more days) my fourth season with the longbow. No world records yet, but they are a very effective hunting weapon.
    I started with a Dave Paxton Talon longbow, 63# @ 28 very light bow with very little handshock smooth shooter. My current bow is a Thunderstick 62# @ 28. This is in the top two or three bows I've shot out of about 30 or so.

I enjoy deer hunting and 3d shoots in the summer. My latest find was carp shooting. Wow, lot's of fun I highly reccomend it.

I have seen bears killed cleanly by archers,and I have seen the other.Keep a back-up gun handy,a bear with an arrow in his a.. is NOT a happy camper.

Yup, I also shoot the wood bow. I prefer longbows and currently shoot a nice 54 lb 'flatbow' style made by the Kentuckian. I killed my first deer with it last fall, a nice 8 point around 190 lbs. If your not into archery and shooting arrows, I wouldn't recommend anyone picking it up for hunting purposes. Definitely takes mucho practice to stay lethal, but is a blast if you're into it!

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

I also shoot traditional. My favorite bow is a Robertson Stykbow - Prairie Falcon, 65# @ 28". This bow is ultra-light and smooth shooting.
    I bought this bow in '87 and it has been great. http://www.robertsonstykbow.com/

I haven't shot the longbow since my Howard Hill delaminated. My rotator will not let me pull one anymore so I am down to knife and spear. Planning on another hog hunt this spring down south in ya'll land.

Wow! Howard Hill is my hero. For those who have never seen his archery, watch the old Robin Hood movie with Eryl Flynn. Every arrow that flies in that movie was shot by Howard.

Hey Michael idn't Howard Hill also play in some of the old Tarzan show's?
    He had a nephew that was in to long bow shooting & making years back,I've meet him ,But can't think of his first name,>>>>Mark