Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ukuleles

Cool

started playing ukulele last month,good fun and for some reason it seems like a natural thing for a beekeeper to do.any other uke players out there/,or maybe other string benders?

I could never stand the trebly twangy sound of a regular uke. Just my ear I suppose. I have a very nice all mahogany Hohner Baritone uke that I bought to teach the kids to play and now the grandkids play on it, and I take it camping sometimes. I also have an old 12 string Martin (late 60's or early 70s), a very old Washburn Lyon and Healey (late 1800's to early 1900's), a Yamaha 12 string (early 80s) and a Yamaha classic (late 70s). These I play. I also own a Fender squire that I play with the electronics on and, until I recently sold it to my son, a original 1963 Fender Jaguar. That's not counting the 4 string banjo and the mandolin that I hardly ever play.

I've designed and built pickups, preamps and compressers for acoustic guitars and fuzz boxes for electric guitars.

I fingerpick and play some gospel, folk, acoustic blues and rock. My son, on the other hand, is an awesome lead player and can play blues, rock or anything else.

Okay Michael, just curious. Is there anything you don't do or haven't done?

>Anything you haven't done?

Tough question. Not much. I've never sold shoes. I cut firewood for money when I was 10. I threw a paper route when I was 12 and again when I was 18. I grew up in a dark room (my dad was, among many other things, a photographer) and I was a THE lithographic photographer at the local print shop by the time I was 14. I was a carpenter by the time I was 18 and did everything on a house from the foundation to the roof to the bathroom tile. I've built everything from outhouses and barns to 6 million dollar churches. I've plumbed and wired houses, repaired cars and appliances. I was a baker, a projectionist, a roofer, concrete finisher, lumberyard foreman, and truck driver. I've doctored, vaccinated and branded calves. Put up, taken down and fixed all kinds of fences from barbed wire to chain link. I've shoveled out corn bins and mucked stalls and run a corn picker. I've delivered baby humans and foals and hatched baby chicks and raised chickens and pheasants and horses.

As for musical instruments, in addition to the guitar, I mess around on the piano. I played the trumpet and the Sousaphone in band.

If you want a list of things I'm really bad it:

I'm not good at gardening. I'm not bad at trees, but terrible at tomatoes and cucumbers and such.

I love to hunt big game, but I'm really not good at fishing. I fished most every day of the summer from when I was born until I was 16. While my sons catch 60-pound catfish all the time, the biggest fish I ever landed was a 1 1/2 pound channel cat.

Can't think of much else off the top of my head.

I was never one to stand around and wait for things to happen. I got married when I was just 18 and had five kids by the time I was 26.

WOW

michael,have you ever slept?

I get a horrible mental picture of Tiny Tim and Tip toe through the Tulips.

no,no, think topless girls in grass skirts.

Ahhhh......Much Better thanks

Jeez, Michael, I didn't think there was anything I could do that you couldn't, but I can grow great tomatoes and cukes. How 'bout I trade you some organic home grown veggies for some pheasant? We don't have pheasant in this area, and that's the best bird to eat that there is.

Pheasant is the best bird there is to eat. I wish I had time and places to hunt them. Can't say I'm a great wing shot, but I have hunted them.

>Good gawd. Think about it. How drunk did someone have to be to invent a ukelele, or a banjo for that matter?

The twang of a banjo or uke or a sitar for that matter is purposful. Many cultures love the feel of a twang or a bend in a note. If you don't belive me listen to Country Music. It's like coffee. You LEARN to appreciate it.

>As for fishing, the reason you (Michael)aren't catching them is that you're not matched to those fat catfish. What you need is a pristine high mountain stream with native cutthroats, or the quality waters of the San Juan. If you're ever in this neck of the woods, I'll take you out for some of the finest trout fishing in the states. Not that elite nonsense either, just straight up fly fishing for rainbow, brown, and cutthroats that'll tear you up IF you bring the right spirit to the river.

I've fished all over from St Ignatious, MT to the Snowy's in WY and all over Southern IL and Eastern and Western NE. I can think like a deer pretty well. But I don't know how to think like a trout or a catfish.

>Well, there ya go. You're thinking too hard. Some kinds of fishing are akin to dating. The harder you try, the worse off you are. Ever notice how some of the most homely, socially inept, butt ugly guys end up with the nicest wives? It's because they're honest, sincere, respectful, and truly grateful for the catch. I speak from experience. Don't try to out think the wimmens or the trout.

I admit, I don't really try to THINK like a deer, I just get in tune and slow down to get deer. You're probably right about thinking too much with fish and wimmen. Thinking too much has been a problem for me all my life.

Wink

michael,if you want to sell that 4 string banjo,let me know.

I might. I don't play it much. I believe it's over a hundred years old.

As far as music .I took lessons on the Bagpipes for a while .I thought I was getting pretty good .Some people didnt think so but they just cant appreciate good music.

I was going to mention this awhile back but was afraid you all would think I was a bit silly. I think like a fish-that's how I caught my trout limit in Spearfish Canyon,SD
    when the 5 guys I was fishing with caught nothing, and that's how I caught my one and only large mouth bass from Lake Okeechobee,FL--it weighed 8 1/2 pounds.
    Denise

Yea, and you can probably think like a woman too...

Yeah, I do that too.....
    Denise

Joens,

I just got bagpipes for chrismas funny you should mention them. I also play guitar, tin whistle, and a few other similar types wind instruments. I will have to get the pipes out and make some noise later..... :>