Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morrels

Hybrid View

Found my second batch of morrels today (small greys), actually I'm cooking them right now! How is the mushroom season going for everyone else?

Here in S.E. Wis. we just got several days of great rain. Now need the temp to spike a bit and I'll be out looking. Can't wait !!!

usbwrangler Guest

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the reminder. It's been a few years since I've hunted for morrels due to the drought. But with the increased rain comes hope and morrel hunting.

With the extensive forest fires the last few years, the hunting should be great.

Thanks
    Dennis

Good year for snipes too! Saw a couple the other day while I was out planting rocks in tree crevices. Should really have a bumper crop in a few years.
    Oh wait a minute.....You guys are actually having a serious discussion. Sorry for the interruption.

Morrels were up here about a week ago and everytime it rains there are more.

the other day i hiked for hours up and down ridges and didn't find one,then got up the next day and found a bunch right off my backyard.

Big Grin

anyone ever eat any polk salad,Don't no what a morrel is,you guessed it I/m from the south,

Mark: A morrel is a great wild mushroom which only shows up for a week or so. Conditions need to be right or you won't see them till the next year. A real treat when you stumble onto a large amount of them.

I always suspected it was spelled "poke". Maybe I was wrong. I've eaten poke greens, and mustard greens, and collard greens, and turnip greens, and dandelion greens... can you tell I used to live in the south?

Big Grin

Michael: your right it is spelled poke.that prove's I'm from the south.(L.0.L).

when I was a kid we ate a lot of poke salad .that was in Arkansas .It doesnt grow where I live now.
    Joens

Of course on the idea of spelling, "morrel" is really spelled morel.

usbwrangler Guest

Hello Everyone,

Hum, I must not get it. The only poke I know makes his living with cows.

Dennis Morrel ...er
    Denis Morell...?
    Dennis Murrell....I think this's it :< )

a Wyoming bee wrangler and spelling dropout :> )

remember that song "poke salad annie " I forget who sang it.
    Joens

Smile

I saw the first ones here a few days ago while driving between beeyards.Not a lot but enough for dinner when I got home.Really something to look forward to.I like to fry them in butter with some dry red wine,then when they cook down ,add a can of campbells mushroom soup and a half can of milk.Makes a great gravy for steak or chicken or on toast.

My husband says the singer of "Poke Salad Annie" is Tony Joe White, from Louisiana, as he recalls.
    By the way, are there no Morel or Morrel or Morrell mushrooms in Texas? Can anyone tell me where they grow? Sounds like fun.

Wink

Dragonfly: I think your husband is right that name sound's right to me also,has anyone ever eat fried poke stalk's? taste like fried okra. you cut the stalk's & fix it just like okra,

You're kidding! Tastes like okra? I love fried okra. I may have to plant some poke salad next season. Thanks for the tip. How is it in gumbo? (cut up stalks, that is)

never tried it in gumbo,but to me it taste just like okra,We alway's cut the stalk's when it's about the size of your index finger,but the other day a friend said they alway cut it when it get's bigger,so I guess you can eat it at any size,so if you like okra you will like it.

Finally found a few morells today. about 15 of the small black ones. Just enough to fry up for an afternoon treat. They were great!