Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MSBA Webmaster View Post
    Hi Erin.

Yes the southern packages are a gamble for beeks if they don't put the sugar syrup to them until they have a full two deeps. We've had poor seasons where a package after they get started can't make a go of it on their own. The beginners don't always understand that. Beginners don't always know when or why to feed. Then they winter with only 1/2 of their frig full. They die and don't know why.

Larry
    I'm one of those beeks you "speak" of! Erin informed me of the process a package of bees goes through, and i assure you, I'll go without bees before I ever buy a package again! Talk about factory farming. I'm hoping that this organization pans out, as I'd love to have a place to shop for northern bees. Summer is an awfully busy time for me, because I clean houses for a living, and there's a lot of work to be done. I'm going to see if I can sneak in a class with michael palmer. I work on Saturdays, but I may be able to find a substitute! I'd love to learn how to make over wintered nucs!!

and thanks again to Erin Forbes who has helped me a TON with my beekeeping. I'd be a retired beekeeper without her help!
    Let's BEE friends

I was just wondering if the website is up for the Northeast/New England Queen Breeders yet?

Thanks
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by MSBA Webmaster View Post
    I was just wondering if the website is up for the Northeast/New England Queen Breeders yet?

Thanks
    Larry
    Yep. A start of one. Just to get things going. I expect it will change once we can organize a meeting. I sent a notice to some of the New England associations for their spring meetings. Maybe in the Fall, after bee work is done, we all can plan something.

nebba.org

Yep. A start of one. Just to get things going. I expect it will change once we can organize a meeting. I sent a notice to some of the New England associations for their spring meetings. Maybe in the Fall, after bee work is done, we all can plan something.

nebba.org

Hi Mike,

It looks like a good start. Put me on your list.

Larry

Default Re: New England Bee Breeders Association

I don't think that this ever got off the ground but if anyone decides to get it going please put me down on the list. If it did begin I would love to know what I can do to help.

Michael,

You might want to look at the Eco Region maps to define boundries..

http://www.fs.fed.us/land/ecosysmgmt...provinces.html

Out of curiousity...if this has not been started was the reason for it not getting started because of lack of interest/members or just never got organized to make a "formal" association?

In order to have a breeder's association, you have to have breeders. Queen reraring is still in its infancy in New England. When there are enough beekeepers raising queens for sale, we'll start a NEBBA.

I might as well ask now...how many here are raising queens for sale, or are just learning how to raise quality queens and plan on raising queens commercially in the future? In what state are you keeping bees?

I raise and sell in upstate NY.

I raise and sell in northern. CT. Although definitely not at the level that would qualify as "commercially."

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    In order to have a breeder's association, you have to have breeders.
    IMHO, there also must be some distinction between "rearing queens" and "breeding bees". If I have time later, I'll post some further thoughts.

deknow

I think you make a good point. If it will be limited to only New Englanders that are currently breeding, not just rearing, bees then it may be a small group. If it will be open to people who want to do more than just rearing (propogating) queens, a place where true breeding (not just propogating) can be discussed, marketing ideas for the queens and nucs can be exchanged, desirable northern traits can be discussed and determine what is working for us than I think it will have a larger following. This group could be as simple as a website where members can gather and exchange ideas to more organized with annual meetings, cell exchanges, site visits, etc. At this point I can not consider myself a "breeder", as I use a Glenn Apiary VSH breeder to raise my queens from. At the same time does the fact that I am not using a New England queen exclude me from joining? I guess these are just some initial thoughts that probably need to be determined before this could take off.

Mike said that we need breeders in order to have a breeding association. I look at it a little differently I guess. I think we need interested queen rearers who are looking to learn from the experts, like Mike, how to breed and not just propogate.
    Last edited by Mosherd1; 06-18-2011 at 03:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Raise and sell in NH. As the apiary grows so will the number of queens.

...When there are enough beekeepers raising queens for sale...
    Define: "enough"

Let's get this rolling today the rest will fall into place. You won't be alone in the work, just ask.
    We can haggle over boundaries, or allow them to set themselves. Roadblocks are more of a concern than boundaires.

- elect five officers (1 yr terms. Pres, VP, Tres, Sec. & webmaster)
    - charge a $15 yearly dues, officers pay immediately
    - assign responsibilites
    - you have a domain url already? NEBBA.com or .org
    - once a week or month we meet here in a chat room
    - once a year we meet at a breeders business

We don't need the answers to anything else yet.
    You (mike p) has the vision and personnel power here to get it off the ground.
    Times a wasting. Let's Roll

Well put, maybe late fall or during winter this can get off the ground when most of the season has started to slow down a bit. But I agree, seize the day! I think we just need the overall structure and purpose to be defined and then run with it from there. This of course is Mike's brainchild and I will follow his lead/thoughts as we move forward to beginning this.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBrothersApiary View Post

We don't need the answers to anything else yet.
    You (mike p) has the vision and personnel power here to get it off the ground.
    Times a wasting. Let's Roll
    Well, I'll tell you. Right now I'm working 80 hour weeks raising queens and making nucs. I have no energy left for anything else, except a bit of gardening. If you and Mosherd1 (seize the day!) want to start this ball rolling, I'll help where I can. You'll have to get in touch with bee clubs in each state to find where there is an active queen rearing program started.

...working 80 hour weeks ...
    Same here.

Even seen this:

http://www.nsqba.org/

You'll have to get in touch with bee clubs in each state to find where there is an active queen rearing program started.
    Larry Connor has done a lot of the preliminary or into work with many of the bee clubs. If someone wants to write the state/local clubs to find out how far their queen rearing programs have progressed it would be helpful. I wrote as many as I could find addresses for and at the time there was really nothing going on. That was a couple years ago...before Larry got going. Some states never even replied...NJ and RI to be specific. I know now there are queen rearing programs in many of the rest of the NE states.

I will try to put something together and contact the organizations. Mike, do you feel Pennsylvania should be contacted? I was thinking Maine, VT, CT, NH, NY, RI, MA, NJ, PA.

Heard back from Seth Belson, Pres of the NJBA, they have nothing formalized and no plans to start anything. They tried a bee club yard and said it became too difficult to manage. They did agree that they we need a more localized bee because they are experienceing high number of supercedures of queens coming from the South. He does want us to keep him posted as we decide whether or not we should move forward.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast