Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: New England Bee Breeders Association

I have compiled a list of beekeepers here in NH who are selling/breeding queens or who would be interested in the NEBBA.

Mike,
    I understand a geographic/regional charter for a breeding group. However, as
    in tight selection for phenotypic characteristics, you're possibly missing
    out on a large pool of desirable germplasm by limiting your breeding pool
    to a specific area. If you came up with breeding goals and criteria, and
    then tested potential candidates, you'd have the best of both: selecting
    from a broader pool for specific expressions.

This could be running asynchronously with local selection.

Adam Finkelstien
    www.vpqueenbees.com

So is the bird ready to come out of the oven??? Shes been cooking for a few years??? Anyone up for getting people together for a meeting?

Quote Originally Posted by THALL View Post
    So is the bird ready to come out of the oven??? Shes been cooking for a few years??? Anyone up for getting people together for a meeting?
    I'm not really interested in an association, but I am interested in helping those who are rearing queens become better breeders, and help all beekeepers learn (and practice) rearing/breeding.

Id be happy to host a potluck sometime mid/late January in Leominster, Massachusetts if there is interest. If you reply, please let me know what evenings are good and what are impossible

Deknow
    The perils of benefactors; The blessings of parasites; Blindness blindness and sight -Joni Mitchell 'Shadows and Light'

Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post
    I'm not really interested in an association, but I am interested in helping those who are rearing queens become better breeders, and help all beekeepers learn (and practice) rearing/breeding.

Id be happy to host a potluck sometime mid/late January in Leominster, Massachusetts if there is interest. If you reply, please let me know what evenings are good and what are impossible

Deknow
    ...or we could probably arrange a meeting of 10 people in Boston.

If people want to get together, let's do it.
    The perils of benefactors; The blessings of parasites; Blindness blindness and sight -Joni Mitchell 'Shadows and Light'

What I'm looking for is to get to know other breeders in the North East (those whom I have not crossed paths with). What their paradigms are for running their apiary and to trade/buy stock with.

Dean, I'd be interested. I've avoided raising queens but think it's time.

I'm up for a trip to Leominster. There's always something to learn, and this is an area I'm sadly lacking in.

K

Quote Originally Posted by THALL View Post
    What I'm looking for is to get to know other breeders in the North East (those whom I have not crossed paths with). What their paradigms are for running their apiary and to trade/buy stock with.
    That was the original idea behind this. To date, I haven't seen enough interest by those actually raising queens, to start a meaningful group. I may be wrong, and it is true that more are considering raising queens, but is there enough interest and enough expertise out there to get this off the ground now?

I'm open to suggestions. I would be willing to host a meeting here in Vermont, as I have a large cell building apiary and a mating yard with 500+ mating nucs. It would have to be during the active queen rearing time...mid-June to mid-July, to be of any value. A busy time for everyone.

Mike,
    I'm on board with a meeting somewhere in VT during June or July. Ill keep in touch with you as the season starts to wind up.

We really need something like this. I, too, would be interested in participating. I'm planning on some serious queen rearing this spring after a few years of watching/reading/learning. I've got more enthusiasm than experience, but I'd welcome the chance to help this group come together.

I'm raising and selling queens and nucs on a small scale in New Hampshire and Massachusetts. I'd be interested in a June/July meeting in Vermont with Michael Palmer if you're willing to include aspiring breeders. Set a date and I'll be there.

Hi,
    Did you guys found this association?
    Thanks

After skimming through this thread, there seems to be some hesitation of where to draw the
    boundry lines...And there are a lot of big fat toes that might get stepped on...
    How bout--If you live in the northeast US, and you have $20 you can be a member,
    period...But if you want to be a listed "Breeder of queens or stock" you have to pay $200
    and be subject to an evaluation of your stock and management ... Kind of a survival scale
    for the stock you offer...You start with 50 points and if your avg winter temp is less than
    32F and you winter outside, you get an additional 10 point,,,if you get more than 48 inches
    of snow per season you get an additional 10 points ...altitude above or below 3000ft,plus
    or minus 10points...survivor stock 10points...
    there could also be minus points...AHB area minus 10 points,,,100miles from AHB minus 5
    points..ect. ect.you end up with a # that represents the hardiness of your stock to winter.
    Or you could have a rating for your bees like fertilizer has---10-10-10--each # representing
    a different trait in relation to wintering....
    Now as a paying member you get the rite to buy from the listed breeders at a discount,,
    plus attend a regional sponsored convention or educational day...plus 1 vote on regional
    matters....
    And the breeders get recognition of their stock evaluated on a sliding scale,,as well as
    cooperative meetings, and engauge in the Associations efforts to provide the
    beekeeping world with superior gernetics to the general public...

...Just thinking...outside of the box...

==McBee7==

MP, I'm not from your region, but I am a northerner who would be very interested in seeing this get off the ground in a big way so that we have more options when it comes to queens, that is, northern raised queens that are more suitable for us up here. As you say, the demand for early southern packages in the north every year is something that must be addressed also, but obviously, there is little we can do about that as our climate prevents the raising of northern packages early enough and in the quantities that are required to meet demand. Your dedication to promoting the raising of late summer nuc's and overwintering them by northern beekeepers is really the only thing that comes close to partially solving the package bee dilemma, so keep up the good work.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234