I am planning on re-queening 2 of my hives ( 1-Italian, 1-Russian Hybrid) with pure Russian queens in the spring. I have read that extra care should be taken when re-queening with Russians, but I would think with my Russian hybrid hive I can re-queen as normal. Any thoughts?
    Also any tips on re-queening Italians with Russian queen would be helpful.

Thanks
    Patrick

[size="1"][ December 07, 2006, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: pgg ][/size]
    "To escape criticism-do nothing, say nothing, be nothing."

Hi Patrick

The Russian are a littler more of nervous type bee the queens seem to run more across the combs

what i would do is use a push in cage to be on the safe side.

cut you a piece of 1/8" hardware screen about a 3" or 4" square cut all four sides so you can fold down the sides 1/2" on all sides place the queen under it and push in the cage into the comb

Place the cage in between the brood frames that have brood in them so she will be kept warm place it over some empty cell also with a little honey in some cells so she can feed, if i see some newly hatched bees the fuzzy ones you see emerging put a couple in with her.OR you can get into to truck roll up the Windows and open up the cage and let the workers out and if she happens to get loose she cant fly off to far. And then place the cage in the center of 2 brood frames and let the workers eat her out.

Make the sides longer than 1/2 inch so that the bees can not reach her through the wire.
    Dan

I pull a row of horizontal wires off the ends to make the longer wires to go that 1/2".
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

NC State University has a short document, "A Comparison of Russian and Italian Honey Bees" (http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/entomology/...files/2.16.pdf) that discusses how to introduce Russian queens, especially into non-Russian hives.