Sad

I had to requeen a hive approximately 5-6 weeks ago. I ordered a Minnesota Hygenic queen and she took off like gang busters laying.....2 days ago, 11/20, I noticed swarm-like activity in the air and all around the hive (1 deep body and 1 honey super with no excluded used)....Today, I decided I better check things out and looks like she left on Thanksgiving vacation....Tons of new brood, also 2 frames of solid drone cells. I found a definite queen cell with the large white larvae inside, not yet capped. I destroyed it, since the temperature is 58 degrees (warmest) and cannot see how new queen would get mated with this temperature????What did I do wrong? Please help??

Were you feeding or is there a flow where your at?

The hives are in town, so there is always something blooming, but very very little of it as we are going into winter....I had a top feeder on with water on one side and sugar water on the other.

Some things are just not fully explained.

With that in mind....pat yourself on the back, claim yourself the best dang beekeeper in town, and know that only healthy colonies swarm. Weak and unhealthy colonies do not swarm. So in a nut shell...they swarmed because you were so good!

Stuff happens.

Okay, so since I destroyed the queen cell that they were making (didn't look for any others yet), should I let them make another, since the queen has only been gone 2 days. But would a new queen be able to mate in 60 degree weather???? Thanks, Barb

in my opinion, you shouldnt have destroyed the queen cell. You would be surprised at what tempratures the queen will mate at. John at Ol Sol in Oregon has surely proved this.
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

I know, I probably goofed big time....Could there possibly be another Queen cell too? I just can't figure out why the queen would leave when winter is coming and usually the hives cut back on bee population for the winter, not making tons of drone cells, etc. like this hive has been doing?? Are the Minnesota Hygenic Queens big on swarming if they get too crowded? She was not even 2 months into the hive and there was NO brood left when I introduced her. Thanks.

"Are the Minnesota Hygenic Queens big on swarming if they get too crowded?"

Some could be.
    Two years ago I got a couple of Minn Hyg packages in the spring. Both colonies built up very quickly and swarmed before summer. They were not crowded yet.. still working on the second deep and had plenty of room, but they swarmed.
    I don't think all Minn Hyg are like this, but some are for sure. You may want to try a different source next time.
    To everything there is a season....

I had ordered 2 of the Minnesota Hygenic Queens. One, as mentioned above, took off laying like gang busters and one never laid an egg!! Go figure. I'm tending towards Carnolians in the future. Had great success with them. Thanks.

"I'm tending towards Carnolians in the future."

That's the direction I'm heading also.
    To everything there is a season....

There is a terrific wax coating put on by the Carnolians, especially great for all my honeycomb frames. Seems to be denser, heavier wax on top, ends up making the honeycomb more attractive in the cassettes. Barb

According to Brother Adam that is a hallmark of the finest strains of carnies....a propensity to use almost no propolis but rather to coat with wax instead.

Barb, you are in California, not Minnesota. You are probably have Eucalyptus blooming. Why they swarmed I don't know, they probably didn't, but never destroy a queen cell if the old queen might have left. Two combs of solid drone cells? You probably didn't have a real queen or a valid queen cell.

I'm with OD. which leads me to a simple question exquisite. when you looked into the hive did you see any drones??? two full frames of drone cell would suggest that there should be....

it is not uncommon at this location to see lots of drones up till christmas. for certain you also need enough warm flying weather for mating.

The Minnesota Queen definitely had laid lots of eggs, had tons of capped regular brood plus the 2 frames of drone cells and lots of little bees hatching.....so I know the ole girl was doing her job........the queen cell definitely look like a queen cell, very very long, with large white larvae coiled up inside. The end was still open. There isn't much eucalyptus around that I have seen in our neighboorhood, since we are right in town. I had seen tremendous flying activity in the air all around the Minnesota hive. The bees were running in a strange vertical pattern up the 2 hive bodies. The population still looks pretty good. I hate to dig into hive again right now as the weather has really cooled down and pretty breezy....Barb

Were these II queens or open bred. I ordered some II SMR queens a couple of years ago and they were all extremely heavy drone layers. I'm not sure why, but the breeder replaced them a couple of months later and the new queens had only slightly more drones, which could be an SMR trait.
    doug