Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hi Jon,

North of Ft Smith? Yikes! I'm an hour NW of Springfield...if we keep having mild winters we won't even have cold as a deterent, if it's a real one to begin with.

What is 'everting drones'?

How would you prove you have European bees other than DNA? Short of doing AI on all queens or buying AI'd queens, there is no way to keep a hive non-AHB (if it's in your area) is there?

I've been reading your site about the Nicot system, I need to see how it works in person since I am one of those 'learn by seeing' types...but it sounds 'doable' for someone to raise their own queens, which I am becoming interested in even though I'm not that experienced with bees yet.

LaRae
    http://globalcorp.com/ozarkhighlands/does.html

The north border of Missouri is the expected stopping point for the AHB. Estimates from the Arkansas Plant Board predict their northward expansion at 300 miles/year excluding help from highway traffic.
    I bought a tape that "The Bee Works" sells for $15 called "Queen Rearing". It covers "No Grafting", The Nicot System, and Grafting. It also covers marking queens and some other useful information.
    He highly recommends the Chinese Grafting tool. This tool uses a chicken feather for the flexible tip.
    David demonstrates the technique on frames of larvae and also made a large drawing which makes the procedure easy to understand.
    In his explanation of the Nicot system, he clearly identifies every pitfall that would keep it from working.
    Everting is the process of turning the drone's sex organ outside so semen can be collected with the syringe.
    Since the drones only carry the queen's genes, only the queen's lineage needs to be documented.
    Jon, N6VC/5

Jon, could please talk a little about the other aspects with your Russians as far as honey production, wintering, spring buildup, swarming etc. What is your source?
    Thanks!

Hi Joel,
    All my stock has come from Jester Bee Co located in Eastern Arkansas. His breeders came from two different sources. His current source is the bee lab in Louisiana.
    I requeened an Italian swarm that had been sprayed with insecticide with a spare Russian last year. There was just a cup full of bees going into winter and I didn't expect them to survive.
    They exploded this spring and I am using it for my donor hive.
    The Russians seem to gather as much as the Italians did.
    They do swarm more. I still haven't got a handle on that one, yet.
    Small price to pay to keep chemicals out of the hive.
    Jon, N6VC/5

Joel-
    I found the following page to be of interest because it shows the timeline for developing the USDA strain of Russian bees.

It shows the year, color code, and strain numbers for various stages of research. This is espacially useful if you plan to instrumentally inseminate (in-breed rather than open-mate) your queens.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=6444

Be sure to note the references on the page bottom, colors are not consistant throughout the timeline.

JEFF
    There is always more than one way to skin a cat, that's of course if you're into eating cats.