Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ted,
    Have you looked into the Cloake board method or Floor Without a Floor for getting cells started and finished?

Waya
    WayaCoyote

no, never have read or heard to much about it...
    Ted

Hi Ted.

Congrats!

Sure hope my first time goes as well! Keep us posted!

*snip*
    "" isn't it a rule not to turn the cell cup upside down?""
    YES

tecumseh ask:
    boy now I never heard that one. anyone care to clarify. and yes what is exactly meant by up and down in regards to a queen cell?

twt ask:
    what is the odd's of not all drawn out cell's making it to be capped?

tecumseh adds:
    well one of the most common reason for queen cells being terminated is lack of resources (pollen and nectar). if you do not feed the starter box in a constant manner then some cells will be terminated, or at least this is my experience.

and l8 out of 30 cells for a first time effort twt is in my mind is quite spectacular. perhaps as you have already discerned the stocking of the swarm box is the critical first condition in this process. as the name should suggest you are simulating swarming, so to maximize success you really need to stuff the box full of bees (and yes as you have also determined bees shaken from frames of green unsealed brood also increases your odds of success).

anyway here is a toast to your success.... and hopefully many more.

what I was asking about turning is the frame, I was just wondering when it would be ok to turn the frame upside down or if I even could until a certain day?
    Ted

twt ask:
    what I was asking about turning is the frame

tecumseh replies:
    yep I certainly am having difficulty intrepreting honeyman's wink, wink reaction. so I can only assume ???? that the rule againist inverting the queen cells is a bit of a ha, ha.

the only reservation that I can recall is that the cells should not be jostled at the latter end of development which might cause the queen pupae to lodge in the bottom of the cell.

well checked on them today and I only had 12 capped off, guest being wishful made me have double vision, well 12 out of 30 for my first. dang wanted to set a record for a rook ink:
    Ted

here's a pic of my queen cells.....only 11 showing, the 12th was to the left under my hand, they are 8 days since I grafted, going to put in nucs this weekend

http://www.beemaster.com/beebbs/view...?p=26985#26985

[size="1"][ April 05, 2006, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: TwT ][/size]
    Ted

Way to go Ted [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Dulcius ex asperis

thanks George, but look at all them empty cell's, maybe one day ill get them all capped but im still feeling good about raising my own queens.... heck even if it was just one atlest I know I have raised a queen bee. I'm glad I got into beekeeping, its been real fun and alot of learning, and I still have so much to learn, I'm not doing this to sale queens or nuc's but just to know I can raise some for myself but maybe one day I might sale a few ...

[size="1"][ April 05, 2006, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: TwT ][/size]
    Ted

what did you make your grafting tool out of? do you have a picture of it?
    eaglesbee

got 5 cells cut out today and put in nuc's got 6 more cells to put in nuc's as soon as I can get some frames and enough bee's to get them going, going to do the rest Sunday, suppose to rain all day tomorrow... just keeping yaw posted one my adventure

eaglesbee, Ill take a pic of it, found it in some of my junk and thought it would make a good tool, It has amp on it so it must be some kind of electrical tool, think something else went with it, Ill take a pic soon...
    Ted

""tecumseh replies:
    yep I certainly am having difficulty intrepreting honeyman's wink, wink reaction. so I can only assume ???? that the rule againist inverting the queen cells is a bit of a ha, ha.""

My reaction was to Micheal Bush`s coment.

As for the ha ha I got my info from Ms.
    Sue Coby during her basic queen rearing class last year [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

honeyman sezs:
    As for the ha ha I got my info from Ms.
    Sue Coby during her basic queen rearing class last year

tecumseh humble ask:
    just seeking clarification honeyman (and that is why I put all those ???? into the statement) might I assume that this rule is somewhat time specific? for certainly when the queen cells are very green (as in double grafting) this prohibition would not apply (unless you are suppose to do this process upside down). So I quess what I would like to understand is when does this rule apply in regards to the development of a queen cell?

TWT:

So did you make up your mating nucs yet? If so, where are you at on the queen timeline?
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

I think a cold snap we had got most my queen cells, (I grafted on march 30) all 12 cells capped after 7 days that was last Monday or tuesday went out the following saturday and took out 5 cells and put in nuc's with nurse bee's but it was still kinda cool, rain and cold all day sunday, went out monday and 2 cells have done hatched and held the cells that wrern't hatched up toward the sun and could only see 1 queen in the cells moving so I put that cell in a nuc. the other 4 cells I cut open and the queens were in the purple eye stage, guest they died then from cold, dont know? so Im not going to count the queens until I see them laying, they still have to survive there mating flight.... I'll graft me some more here soon now that the clod snaps might be gone......

[size="1"][ April 13, 2006, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: TwT ][/size]
    Ted

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12