Thread: Time to fess up

I just completed my first ever round of queen rearing with the Jenter system. Saturday I checked the 4 capped queen cells in the finisher hive. They looked great, so off I went to build 4 - 3 frame queenless nucs. Sunday morning when I went to move the queen cells, they were all empty, hatched overnight. Figuring I had somewhere between 1 and 4 virgin queens in the hive (I looked and couldn't find them of course), I decided to pull the queen excluder and take the old queen for a nuc. I found a stray queen cell on another frame and took it as well. I figure I have either re-queened the hive with a virgin, or it has plenty of eggs and stores to make another. Next time I will actually use that incubator bar I built.

Live and learn.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

The often emerge a day early if it's hot. Is it hot there right now?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

timing is everyting ross when it comes to queen rearing. if it makes you fill any bettter last year I got to the point of setting up a cell finisher and goofed with the date count. to make a long tragic story somewhat shorter, I had one virgin destroy 30 cells when I left one bar in the finisher one day tooooo long.

oops...

I was told to put the cell in a nuc at day 13 or 14, does this sound good to yaw, seem to me it would stop the early hatch and kill queens from recking your other cells..
    Ted

13 or 14 days with the start date based on what starting point? my quess to this question would be from day 1 (time 0) being when the egg was laid. so 13 would represent a 9 day old queen cell and 14 a 10 day old cell. correct?

but as michael bush has suggested the bioliogical clock of queen rearing is not set in stone with temperature being a major variable in the 'clocks' operation. in addition, it is not quite that simple to determine whether a larvae is 24 or 48 hours old simply by sight. so we have another variable that again modifies how 'the clock' operates.

given all this if you should wish to minimize the risk of early emerging queens... use the 9 day clock.

tecumseh, good point, I never thought of that, so you saying at 9 days from the time I graft is when I should put the cells in a nuc?
    Ted

Bob Russel suggests placing 2 day old queen cells in mating nucs. Two obvious reasons jump to mind, one being stopping early emergance of queens before they are moved to mating nucs, the other being that two day old cells are not as fragile as 9 or 10 day old cells.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

I call the first day the queen was confined day 0 because no time has elapsed yet. Yes it's the first day, but it hasn't been one day. [img]smile.gif[/img] I relase her on day 1. How old are the eggs? Some may be 24 hours and some may be 5 minutes. On day 14 (14 days have elapsed since I confined the queen) I put them in a mating nuc. I hate to go much earlier (13 is fine) because the cells are so fragile earlier. I hate to go later because a hot day can cause them to emerge on day 15 sometimes. Sometimes in cold weather I've had some that didn't emerge until day 17 or even 18.

9 days from when you grafted (assuming you grafted on day 4) would be day 13. IMO that's a fine time to transfer them. Day 13 or 14 would be my choice. Sometimes, if the weather is bad, or I'm having to do it after work, I start on 13 because I know I may not get done until the next day. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

MB wrote:
    I call the first day the queen was confined day 0 because no time has elapsed yet. Yes it's the first day, but it hasn't been one day.

Rely:
    Great. We're back to the whole "when Really is the turn of the century" debate...

I do as Michael does, which makes me think he's pretty smart. I count the first laying of the egg (or confining of the queen) as day Zero.
    Waya
    WayaCoyote

Day 14.5

I count the first laying of the egg (or confining of the queen) as day Zero.
    So did I.

[size="1"][ March 31, 2006, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Ross ][/size]

Ross

Well at least you got the grafting down! Better to have tried and failed then never to have tried at all!

Experience is the best teacher. Thanks for teaching us!