Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2 weeks ago I was shown how to set up a starter hive, make wax cell cups, cell bar and to graft, I did my first for myself today, shaken my starter hive and let sit for about 3 hours, then from the time I took my frame of larva out I grafted 30 cells and put in the starter hive took me 9 minutes and 17 seconds, I made my own grafting tool and it worked fine.... wish me luck, hope I didn't take to much time, Ill get faster, do yaw think they will take, one problem I had was trying to find the queen in a 2 deep hive, the frames I shaken I double checked and couldn't fine her, was just hoping I didn't shake her in the starter hive, after 3 hours the starter hive was humming load so I think I didn't shake the queen. what do yaw think?
    Ted

If they were humming they don't have a queen.

Ah, OK. When I opened my cell starter that I'd closed up last night, it was noisy as all heck. Normal, then.

>If they were humming they don't have a queen.

I'd say queenless varies from a bit of a "roar" to a dissonant "keening". Humming they do all the time. Normal conditions it's a harmonious sounding humming.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

MB agreed. By his statement >humming load< I'm assuming >roar<. I should have been more spacific.

when is the best time to be able (time wise) to inspect and see if any of the grafts took? other words, when can I do my first inspection on the queen cells if any are there?
    Ted

>MB agreed

Yes, I'm just trying to differntiate the normal harmonious hum from a queenless dissonant hum.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

twt ask:
    when is the best time to be able (time wise) to inspect and see if any of the grafts took?

tecumseh suggest:
    well there certainly is no rule, but I generally look in formally 2 days later. I have taken a peak after 1 day, although the started cell are a bit more difficult to distinquish.

thanks tecumseh didn't think I was going to get a answer, isn't it a rule not to turn the cell cup upside down? if anyone has any rule of not to do with handling queen cells post them please, Im just want to see what else I can learn... Thanks again...
    Ted

"" isn't it a rule not to turn the cell cup upside down?""

YES
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I thought queen cells were always upside down. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[img]smile.gif[/img]
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

well, to a peak today to see if any took on my first try and looks 18 out of 30 took, might be 1 more or less because I just took a quick looks and count, they almost have the whole cells drawn out, shoot and I was hoping to get about 7 or 8 and now I have to build more equipment so I don't waste any queens cells, I didn't know they would draw out a cell this fast, this is the only the 3rd day since I grafted.... might be a start to a beautiful career.... now I hope I get that many capped.... what is the odd's of not all drawn out cell's making it to be capped?

[size="1"][ April 01, 2006, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: TwT ][/size]
    Ted

I think I know where I might have messed up though, I have heard people say they fill the nuc starter hive with nurse bee's and I only shook about 6 full frames in the hive, It look like more than enough bee's but after a couple days, it might not have been enough, I know the forager bee's will return to the old hive but maybe I had enough and just some didn't take, I didn't roll any larva and the larva I grafted was in royal jelly already.
    Ted

Ill post a pic in a few days as soon as they are capped........ I fell like a new daddy ....
    Ted

TWT--are you passin out cigars?
    Congrats on the success so far!
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

no cigars, but I fell good with that number for my first time, and I want to Thank FatBeeMan for showing me how to do this, I grafted 10 cells at his place the other week and it was kinda cool that day and he was just teaching me, don't know if any of them cells took but this was the second time I grafted but first time for myself and I did it all alone. He must be a good teacher because I feel good with those results....
    Ted

are those results or odds good for a first timer??????
    Ted

ANY cells are good for your first try. I didn't get any my first try. But that was because I didn't put enough bees in the cell starter.

thats what I was thinking MB, if only I would have put 10 frames of bee's in the starter I might have done better but who know's, I think thats where i messed up!!!!!
    Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast