Thread: Jenter System

We are going to try raising queens with the Jenter system this year. I have one thing that I am not clear on when using this or any other cage system, and that is when the queen is caged for 24 hours, do you have some attending bees caged with her or will they look after her from the outside, through the bars?

The Jenter cage is enclosed bars that act as a queen excluder. The worker bees in the retinue go in and out freely to clean & prepare the cells for the eggs. They also groom & feed the queen with no problem. I always put the Jenter box in the hive at least a day early for them to begin preparing the cells. The only known problem is, in the middle of a strong honey flow, they will fill some of the cells with honey. This is difiicult to clean out later on. Good luck & I hope this helped. -Danno

Ditto. What he said. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks for the response. I did not think the bars would let them through. The gap just looks smaller because of the small cage I guess.