Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Personally, I think to truely breed queens the very best way is to AI them. All you have to do is look at nearly ALL the rest of agriculture and see that is what they have done. I well remember when my father used to tell me thta when he was a boy, 50 bushel corn was good.
    When i came along as a boy, 100 bushel corn was good. Today, it is at least double that again. I know it is not all genetics, but I also know that without the genetics, all the furtilzer and management would not have do it alone.

It takes good genetics, good managment, good weather, the whole 9 yards.
    Bill

Just take dog breeding as a very easy one to understand. One breeders uses registered dogs to sell. (Breeder dogs if you will) A man comes along and really likes that kind of dog. Be buys one. Then lets it out and it gets bred to just any other dog that comes along.
    What do you get? It may not look even remotely like the mother. Same thing with bees. If you want to distroy a breed, that is THE best way to do it.
    Bill

And then you end up with breeds that can't breed without human intervention.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Bill Ruble, I agree, At the present time all of my hives are each a little different, Due to open matings in my opinion. Jerry

I have a close friend who often says, "You know how you make a small fortune by ranching? Start with a large fortune."

I think the same concept applies if we replace "ranching" with "queen breeding" or maybe even "beekeeping."

I think there needs to be open matings. My problem is that when you open mate them, don't call them Italians or any other name because frankly, yo don't know. You just hope so.

There needs to be both and i prefer for my part to do the II so if I ever sell queens I can do it with full confidence that what I say they are, they are.

there needs to be as wide a gene pool as possible, that is why we need the open breeding also. along with the wild bees. If I did not think that, I would not have ordered any wild colonies this year as I did.

And I had my reasoning straightened out about poisoning wild colonies to keep down the Aricanized bee. i was wrong on that and can see it now.
    Bill

"I have a close friend who often says, "You know how you make a small fortune by ranching? Start with a large fortune."

I think the same concept applies if we replace "ranching" with "queen breeding" or maybe even "beekeeping"

And I think if you only wanted to make money, you had better just not put it in farming at all. LOL but my heart is in the land and not so much in the money. Even though it is nice and I have to have it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123