I've never attempted to raise queens before, but am looking to do so this spring.

I also don't usually feed my hives in the spring. I leave enough honey for them in the fall that I typically don't have any starvation problems.

Anyways, I keep reading that I need to feed my Cell Builder Hive, while they are feeding the larva, until the Q. Cell is capped. How much feed could I expect to go through per hive, per batch (6-10 Q. Cells). I'm assuming 2:1 syrup, so answers in Gal. or Lbs. of sugar are fine.

I'm just trying to decide how much Sugar to stock up on this winter in prep. for the spring.

--Jon D.

On the average I use 1 gallon of syrup, 1 to 1 syrup is good, to start per week per 3 medium high hives. Don't forget you need to feed the drone hives too so you can have plenty of drones for mating with your queens. One queen mates up to 20 drones. You also need to give them pollen substitute depending on how much your area has in the spring. I feed most of the year with my breeder (drone and queen) hives. This way I have healthy drones and well feed, and formed queens with lager ovaries for egg production. The drone hive should be feed about two or three weeks earlier so that when the queens are ready the drones will be too. I hope this helps.
    Dan

[size="1"][ December 30, 2005, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: bjerm2 ][/size]

if you are to utilize grafting feeding of the queen mother hive is also recommended, in order to have lots of well fed larvae from which to graft.

although I would generally agree with bjerm2 remarks above, I would qualify the quantity by stating that you need to dribble this quantity on the cell builders hive over the period. this simulates a slow steady flow rather than a huge flow/no flow situation.