Question

How much space is needed between the bottom of the plastic cell cups, and the top of the next cell bar?

I just bought plastic cell cups from Brushy Mtn. The plastic peg seems to fit nicely in the top/bottom bar grooves of their wooden frames, so cobbing together a queencell bar frame seems pretty easy.

Any other tips on good queencellbar frame construction?

Thanks, Patrick

[size="1"][ December 29, 2005, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Patrick Scannell ][/size]

Mine are on mediums (of course) and I cut the top bar to 3/8" thick all the way across (instead of just then ends) and equally divided the space. This is still too small to put on the Nicot hair curler cages (I have a Jenter but like the Nicot cages better because they are larger and because they snap onto the cell cup holder and not onto the cup like the Jenter ones), but it's enough room for the queen cells. If I use the hair curlers I have to just put one bar in. I bought the ones from Brushy Mt that are puched out of sheet metal and make the medium frames to put them in.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks Michael. I also use only mediums (of course) so the frame has almost 13 cm of vertical open space. Subtract 3 cm for 2 cellcups and a bar and you have about 5 cm available for queen cells to be built in (if you put one bar in a medium frame and so use 2 rows of cups).

How much vertical room does a queen cell need?
    1 inch?
    2 inches?
    I've never done this before and really have no clue.

I plan to put the sealed cells in protectors and drop them between the frames of 2 frame mating nucs.

Usually I cut the cleat portion of the top bar off, but this picture is one that I didn't:

http://www.bushfarms.com/images/MissedQueenCell.JPG

I'd guess the space is between an inch and an inch and a quarter. The problem, and the good thing, is that the bees build them different sizes. Sometimes as short as 1/2" and sometimes as long as an inch and a half. But if that's all the room they have, they probably won't use more. Splitting the space evenly between two bars has worked well, except it would be nice to have a little more for the hair curler cages.

I gave up on the cell protectors and just put them in. If the mating nuc was queenless overnight they hardly ever tear down a queen cell that's about to emerge.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thank you MB. I appreciate your willingness to take the time to share your knowledge.