Thread: failing queen

Hi,
    I have a bit of a problem with the weaker hive that was re-queen with eggs from a strong hive,
    They made a couple off queen cells from the eggs that I give them and the queen seem to be laying ok,
    Well this was a few weeks ago but last night a went to have a quick look and there was loads off drones walking about and cap drones cells to,

Do you think the queen did not mate properly?
    I need a plain of action, I am supposedly getting a mated queen next week, can I shake all the bees out and then add the new queen,

the bees have a uncapped queen cell which has a larvae in it and time is getting on and i am not sure what to do.

Tony

Sounds like you got a gene problem. Queen has mated with a drone/drones from parent hive. Resulting "y/y" chrom pairing rusulting in her laying a false drone when she think she is laying a worker "y/x" pairing. Signs of this are drone cells scattered through out worker cells or several empty cell scattered over comb (shot gun pattern) It results from workers yanking the false drones out of the cells before they develope. Since she mates with more than one drone the more drones from inbreeding determines the level of false drones. My suggestion is find and kill the queen, destroy the queen cell and install the new mated queen to insure fresh genome in the mix.

Some may say you have a laying worker but I doubt that is the case. I've never seen or heard of a colony trying to start a queens cell off a laying worker.

thanks onlygoodSHBisdeadone i don't think there is much else i can do

OGshbIDO sezs:
    Some may say you have a laying worker but I doubt that is the case. I've never seen or heard of a colony trying to start a queens cell off a laying worker.

tecumseh replies:
    well I have....but normally at this juncture of time it is best to trash the entire mess and totally start over. I usually refer to the problem as the hive being profoundly queenless.

I would like to have your reference to the 'gene' problem that you described. I am a bit sceptical here, since it would appear that what you suggest implies that inbreeding produces some sex id confusion in regards to the queen.

An alternative explanation might be varroa mites and the breaking of the brood cycle and typical hygenic behavior.

tecumseh..you will need quicktime player, video is approx 45 min and size is 24 meg so it will take a minute to download.Hope your not on dial up..LOL..section talking about gene pairing starts about 20 min mark. Enjoy.

http://mkat.iwf.de/mms/QT/02000019660220000000_lo.mov