I've been raising queen cells using the Miller Method to make queenright a couple of colonies. Typically I get about 7 - 10 queen cells. Then I destroy all undersized cells and keep the best looking 3 - 4 cells to emerge, hoping that this improves the odds. I've had about 50% success so far.

My question is - should I be keeping only a single cell to emerge, or is there a benefit (or problem) with keeping more than one?

Actually YOU can't tell which is the best to keep. Ideally I would want to keep them all and examine the brood pattern after mating. Not practical. But as close as you can get to this is best.

Can you start two nucs? Two spare queens could really have helped me this year. I wouldn't judge by the size of the cell whether or not to scra-pe out a cell. Just keeping the largest queen might be a mistake.

Hawk
    KC0YXI

Typically you either put the cell in the hive you want to requeen and remove the old queen. Or you put the cell in a mating nuc. If you have more cells than hives you want to requeen, you can put the extra ones in the hives for better insurance of sucess. But with a mating nuc you usually just do one and see how it goes.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF