Thread: Odd queen?

One of the Russian nucs I got earlier this spring didn't pan out well. After not being able to locate a queen, eggs, larva, etc. I requeened with an extra queen that was given to me by another local fellow. That was about six weeks ago. Every time I look, she's just wandering around by herself with that big blue dot on her. None of the other bees seem the least bit interested in her. The bees are surviving, but there's no evidence that she's laying. The population seems stable, but very low. Any ideas about what's going on?
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Lots of ideas. Not enough info. What's the breed on the extra queen? If unknown, what color is she? How old is she? How was she mated? When? six weeks with no evidence of laying = requeen. Don't remove her until 24 hours before introduction.

Hawk
    KC0YXI

She was described as a 2005 Italian. The blue dot is like a neon sign since the other bees aren't around her. I don't know if she was mated or not when she was shipped, she was a freebie from a fellow who ended up with 2 extras that he gave to me. The other one is doing fine.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

When you say the population seems stable, but the new queen is not laying, how can that be? Maybe you should place this hive on the stand of one of your stronger hives, and check again for brood in 3-4 days. Might be just what she needs to get going.

peggjam
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage