Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drone question

I don't think so. The variations I see in drones come from drifting. Drones visit other hives, see what's on TV, Bum a beer, spend the night, then head back to the Drone Congregation Area. Next night might be a different hive.

You can't even keep a majority of your drones being sons of your queen.

Hawk
    KC0YXI

Hook, I think a queen, while fertilized by 17 or so drones, is herself only the offspring of one queen's egg and and a sperm from a lucky ONE of mom's 17 drone partners.

"on tecumseh adds:
    a commercial breeder will maintain a fairly large number of hives around a queen yard for producing large numbers of drones. so they stuff lots of drone cone in these hives and tilt the odds in their favor for how the new queen will mate"

...how do we produce this large number of drones so we can tilt the odds in our favor? is their any step-by-step procedure to raise/produce this large number of drones as commercial breeders do? I got 10 colonies in a home apiary, tried to mate some 6 queens & only 2 got mated in May... gez we need to rear drones too to succeed in queen rearing...

"Put extra drone comb in some and there will be extra drones of the desired breed"

-How do we get the beez to make drones combs? when is the time to have bees make drone combs....? i gez this is d' first step in drone rearing...

Teen-bee, Drone comb is a large cell foundation that you can special order. Or rather it's what the bees will draw out of that foundation. Big, honking cells that drones are raised in. Some people use them as part of their IPM for varroas.

I still think II is the only way to control which drone mates with your queen.

Hawk
    KC0YXI

It is kind of interesting to think that every drone has a grandfather but no father.

TW was kindenaf to give a link to a queen rearing video... hope anyone, or perhaps TW can give us a link on Drone Rearing.... anybody got a link?

Drone rearing is a no-brainer. Even without the use of a frame or two of drone foundation, the bees will produce quite a few drones all by themselves. If you do provide some additional drone foundation, you usually don't have to work to get them to use it.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

The bees will rear plenty of drones all on their own.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

if you really want some drone comb, whynot use comb that they messed up on anyway?

(messed up meaning being made into a drone comb.
    \"You\'ve got to stop beating up your women because you can\'t find a job, because you didn\'t want to get an education and now you\'re (earning) minimum wage.\"<br /><br />-Bill Cosby

(messed up meaning being made into a drone comb.

...how do you induced bees to messed up the combs a lot...so we can get a lot of drones... lol

Give them starter strips instead of full sheets of foundation, or foundationless frames so they can build whatever comb they prefer. Often it will contain a significant amount of drone comb. You could also try using drone foundation, plastic or beeswax if that is available to you.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I take old comb and remove the middle of it and the bees fill it up with drone comb. I use medium supers and each supper has one comb like that. Get lots of drone for both AI and for using as an mite 'trap'.
    Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12