Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Jenter queen rearing instructions

9K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  ioniapcwizard 
#1 ·
My wife and I have just finished roughly translating the Frnech instruction sheet I got with my Jenter queen rearing kit. Does anybody have a simple schedule for the system?

Day 1 - do this
Day3 - do that
day 9- do whatever
day 16 - have a bunch of virgin queens

you get the idea.

Saturday evening at 6pm I placed the queen in the box with 100 cups but am not sure of timing for the following steps. I have a copy of Contemporary Queen rearing but when I can stay awake while reading it I close it more confused than when I started reading it. I have also gone to the Ohio site mentioned here in prior posting but it doesn't really outline a time schedule.

Any help would be great.

-Jeff

#3 ·
If you leave the queen in very long she may lay multiple eggs in each cell. I would only let her stay for a few hours. That should give you enough eggs to start with. You can immediately put them into the cell builder. Make sure your cell builder is really boiling over with bees.

#6 ·
If you transfered them at 36 hours they will not raise any queens from them. Before they hatch they are just eggs and the bees will just eat them. That's too early and it won't work. They have to have hatched already and have some royal jelly in them. That takes at least 3 1/2 days and sometimes four depending on the weather etc. At 3 days they will still be egg and still be rejected. You HAVE to have larvae. I've tried eggs when there was space on the bar for them and they NEVER made queens out of them.

#7 ·
I have the Nicot system, and tried it a few times with some success. My experience with eggs was the same as Michael's, though; when I came back to the starter / finisher all I had was nicely polished cell cups.

There may be a way to make it work with eggs, but I wasn't able to make it happen.

#8 ·
Brunswick Beeworks,
You can find a calender @
members.aol.com/queen95/queenrear.htm
I would add an extra square at the beginning for placing the queen in the Jenter Kit. The original directions says to cage the queen for 24 hrs.
I can send you a copy of the original directions that came with mine years ago via pdf file & you can print them out using Adobe. All I need is your e-mail address.

Frank Wyatt
WG Bee Farm
Eden, NC

#9 ·
Hey this how I use my EZ Queen rearing kit from Dadant. They're different , but the schedule is still the same.

Day 1- Put the queen in the cage.

Day 2- Release the queen.

Day 4- Transfer larvae and place in your cell builder hive. (By waiting until the 4th day all the eggs will have hatched. And the larvae will be one day old or younger.)

Day 14- Remove your cells and put them in your splits or mating nucs. (I leave my cells in the cell builder for 11 days instead of 10 because I know how old the larvae are and the longer you can leave them in the less chance of damaging them in transit

#10 ·
Hello Jeff,
I know this post is really old, but I wanted to let you know I bought a Jenter at an auction the other day and it had english instructions from 1988. Here's the dates it shows.
Day 1 - Tues May 7, 8:00 P.M. Close in the breeder queen
Day 2 - Wed May 8, 7:00 A.M. Check for eggs, release queen
Day 5 - Sat. May 11, 11:00 A.M. Transfer cell plugs to starter colony
Day 6 - Sun. May 12, 2:00 P.M. Check cell acceptance
Day 16 - Tues. May 21, 2:00 P.M. Move queen cells to mating hives.

Hope that helps anyone else that is searching for the timing.

- Robert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.