In the past I have always used paint to mark my queens so I have always used a piece of tulle fabric and foam to hold the queen down. Tulle is what wedding veils are made from. This year I am switching over to queen marking numbers and have to hold the queens with my hand. I thought it would be easier than it is. Some of those queens can really move!
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

They certainly can. If I'm concerned about them escaping I do it in the window in the bathroom. I make a tent with my thumb and first finger with my dominant hand (right hand for me) and pin her and try to get her by the wings. Then I put the first finger of my left hand under her to grab a hold of. She grabs my finger and I try to pin all three of the legs on one side with my left thumb against my left first finger. Now I can let go of the wings and I have my right hand free to work on the queen. If she gets the back legs free I let go. It's important not to injure her front legs.

Of course, practice on drones and (if you're using paint) mark them with next year's color. They'll be dead by next year and you won't get them confused with any of your queens. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

The marking numbers are a bit more difficult to handle than a simple marking pen. Someone gave me one of those tubes with a plunger for holding the queen while marking and It really does help. And the tube/plunger forms a cage so there is less chance she'll fly off, and you can set it down without the queen escaping like some other devices. I suppose with a stand for the tube you might not even need to hold it.

I also have one of those round metal screens (with handle) you are suppose to press over the queen to hold her, but for me it really doesn't work well

-Tim

Another question.....What is the safest and easiest way to remove,clip,mark,and replace tte queen into the queen cage for introduction to the hive?.........Thanks,Ron

Ron
    practice on drones and don't use gloves it's not has hard has it looks.
    Terry