Hi all,
    A little over 2.5 wks ago we hived our first package of bees. Brood rearing is coming along nicely; however, we have noticed some brood cells that appear to be queen cells. They are low on the frame and stand about 0.25 in. taller than the other capped brood cells. From what I have read these appear to be located where swarm cells would be.
    Assuming these are queen cells/swarm cells: should we destroy them? If so, what is the "normal" proceedure for doing this?

Thanks,
    Chris

B&N Farms

Do the larger cells stick straight out, or do they curve down?

Drone cells look like worker cells, EXCEPT they stick out frome the frame like the end of a bullet. Queen cells curve downwards.

I think you have drone cells. Queen cells grow downward, and can get to an inch long. Drone cells stick straight out and have a bullet end. What happens, is you comb does not get drwarn out perfectly, and the bottom cells get out of wack. If you check you bottom cells on the frame in question, I'll bet the cell size is larger than the rest of the cells on the frame.
    Dale Richards<br />Dal-Col Apiaries<br />

Thanks for the replies.

For clarification, I have posted some images of the cells in question at www.parkertechgroup.com/cnighswonger

From what you both say, I think these are drone cells. There are only two so far while there is a lot of worker cells. I suppose that this is OK?

Incidentally, we will hive two more packages next Saturday.

The photos are drone cells.
    Perfectly normal.
    Not a problem.