is there a queen cell protector made to protect queen cells while there on drawn comb or do I make to invent somthing, example: if I have a queenless hive and want all the cells to make it (for spare queens) what could I use to protect these cells from getting destroyed by the first queen that hatches?
    Ted

I move them to separate nucs. If you cut the cell out you can even put mulitple cells that are on one frame in more than one nuc.

The once used in queen rearing fit on the cell holder, which you won't have. If you think of something and it works, let us all know.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Would a push-in queen cage work (one of those plastic jobs like: http://www.betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=644

or one made out of #8 wire mesh)? would the bees feed all the queens that emerged and were caged, or would they choose one and let the others suffer? (seems like they would tend them all since they do in a "queen banking hive.")
    WayaCoyote

wayacoyote, I was thinking about making small wire cages that just stick in the drawn comb around the cells, I was thinking of using screen wire (like on your windows),you think thats to small? I was wondering the same thing , would the bees tend all the queens if Im a day or 2 late on checking them?
    Ted

That might work if you made one out of wire that stuck out far enough to not damage the queen cell. The plastic ones probably won't have enough clearance. And that's assuming a supercedure or emergency type of a cell instead of a swarm cell hanging from the bottom of the frame.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

What I do with queen cells that I cut out is I make a large cut and have a tooth pick pushed thru in such a way as not to damage the cell but firm enough to place it between combs. The queens in a few days would emerge and then you would have your queens saved. If you don't want to use a tooth pick you can us a piece of wire to hold up the queen cell between the frames.
    Dan

i us a hair curler the one your grantmother used them a cork in bouth ends
    eaglesbee

I have the protecter,but have just gently put electrical tape arond and worket good.
    B. roger eagles

I just looked at my plastic ones, and they don't have that much clearance. They are 5/8 in. deep.
    WayaCoyote

Please forgive my inabilities in reading comprehension: but did we decide that a queen cell can be "protected" in a queen-right hive? Would a few attendants need to be inside the protector with the queen?
    WayaCoyote

I Usally put from 1-2 workers in the Protecter I found several times that when i didn,t the Q would crawl back into the cell and die also you can put a little ball of queen cage candy in the bottom of the protecter
    Velbert