I have read recently that the mating flight of a queen is usually at least two miles, and that drones will fly the same distance. In the past I had heard that queens fly further than drones to avoid inbreeding. Any one care to comment?
    John B Jacob www.oldsolbees.com

Where did you read it?
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

I've also heard that,But don't remember where.
    Be interesting for other's comment's.
    Mark

“ As a general rule, drones tend to fly to DCAs close to their hive while queens go to DCAs two or more miles away” p120 Dewy M Caron, Honey Bee Biology and Beekeeping. This statement contrasts one made by Laidlaw & Paige in Queen Rearing and Bee Breeding on page 91, “The queens and drones fly about the same distance, and are attracted to the same mating area.” These two statements seem to contradict each other. A better understanding of this aspect of bee biology would help in the selection of mating yards. I have heard tales of queens getting mated in extreme isolation from drones a great distance away…4 to 8+ miles away. I suppose somebody could determine the flight speed of a queen and drone, measure the flight time, and then calculate flight distance; excluding certain variables such as weather and terrain. This process could be enhanced with genetic analysis to accurately determine where the drones came from. I know of credible reports that drones can fly up to 7 miles. So the big question for me is how close do my mating yards need to be to the drone source colonies?
    JBJ
    John B Jacob www.oldsolbees.com

>>Dr. Taylor discussed in some detail. For several years in collaboration with others, he used radar and drones traps in an attempt to discover how these “flying gametes” behave in order to find queens. Their activities center around what are called drone congregation areas or DCAs.

According to Dr. Taylor, drones show strong directional fidelity to DCAs and visit many during their daily flights. Older drones fly longer distances from DCAs, which helps contribute to maximum genetic diversity. DCAs are often found associated with structural landscape features; they do not form in featureless terrain. In the final analysis, drone availability is a function of distance and number, Dr. Taylor said. But although DCAs are important entities in their own right, ironically and surprisingly, few if any actual matings take place in them.

Terry

--In the final analysis, drone availability is a function of distance and number, Dr. Taylor said.

Here’s some interesting reading:

http://www.biologie.uni-halle.de/zoo.../KNSCH2003.pdf

“So far it has been assumed that the number of drones
    rather than their individual mating success was most
    significant for colony male success “

“In our experiment the ‘fit’ colonies seem to have
    produced males which not only out-competed males
    from other colonies in mating, but also were more
    successful in post-mating competition.”

A lot depends on what the bees are actually doing when mating! In the UK, we have a distianction between the classic distant assembly mating, which tends to occur during spells of hot settled weather in summer, local assemblies, which are close to apiaries, and can occur during short spells of good weather, and apiary vicinity mating, which is near the hive, and can take place in fairly bad conditions. The reality may, of course, be a continuous spectrum rather than distinct types. Can we be sure that every comment on the distance flown refers to the same behaviour?
    RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Birmingham UK

Most of my books on AI and general queen breeding states 'several miles'. Now If I understand the word several is more that 1 but less than 7. Seven mile to me sound extensive but bees are adaptable creatures. I have looked up in ABC-XYZ in Bee Culture, Laidlaw 'Instrumental Insemination', also Contemporary Queen Rearing, First lessons in Beekeeping, Bees & Beekeeping by Roger Morse, just to name a few from my library. They all give a vague number. Guess we need some research done in this. I do know that drones can and will go into different hives to 'crash' for the night or even live there. This is quite evident when you have a queenless hive and/or a virgin in the hive.
    Sorry I could not give you an exact mileage that they might fly. Some how in 'The Speedy Bee', ABJ, or Gleenings, I remeber something to 5 miles but I can not prove that or disprove.
    Dan