Question

In one of my books, there is information on a strain of bees called the Mraz. Named for Charles Mraz of Vermont. No dates given. It says the mraz strain overwintered well, was resistant to EFB and AFB, and stored abundant honey. Says that they were bred for use in northern New England and those areas that were similar to southern England.
    Was this strain renamed, did it die out, or was it a bust? What happened or whats the story?
    Thank you.

Bjorn,

What is the copyright date of the book? That might help figure this out.

I did a quick internet search on Charles Marz and found he was the dean of bee venom therapy who died in 1999 at the age of 94.

Pugs

It was basically a selected strain of Italian crossed with some other breeds. Its major problems were a significant stinging propensity and failure to perform up to expectations in other areas. Wintering was similar to the Italian but with a bit smaller cluster and lower use of stored honey. They were highly susceptible to trachael and varroa mites when these first got to the U.S. I think they were then selected for tolerance to the trachael mites but my information is about 10 years out of date.

If you want more information, you might contact Champlain Valley Bees and Queens at this link.

http://www.beesource.com/suppliers/usbees.htm

One more note, Charles Mraz used to write rather extensively on the use of bee venom therapy and how successful it was for treating certain types of arthritis. He also was a proponent of feeding honey to infants back when infant botulism was first isolated to contaminated honey in the late 1980's. His operation was based on the dairy industry in the Champlain valley which in years past raised huge acreage of sweet clover.

Fusion

I had requested some queens from Champlain valley last year. They were very nice to send me information about the place. Unfortunately they could not guarantee dates and I would of had to go onto a list and take them when available. In this literature was information about them losing a large amount of bees several years ago, and having to bring in packages to build numbers back up. They had spent the last couple years getting back to a level to fill larger orders, and had stopped any further infusions of packages. They were back to selectively breeding from the stock on hand. But knowing the story of the operation, I somehow feel there must not be any true "mraz" strains around. They did not comment on anything about "mraz".

The book is copywrited 1999. "honey Bee Biology and Beekeeping" from Dewey M. Caron. Good book.