Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Dennis:

What's a swarm board? I'm interested in the other commercial,small scale rearing method that you have yet to describe. I was aware of the accelerated method before but I like the way you cage the hatching virgin. Looks kinda slick and it's all things that I have on hand. Hair rollers looked awfully bulky as that was the only other thing that could do the job.

Jean-Marc

Dennis wrote:

"Grafting one bar/week into a single divided into a breeder side and a free flying starter-finisher side will yield about 13 excellent cells/week. Every two weeks the sides are switched"

Dennis, please describe how you build and use this set up. I'm not sure I follow this part.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the long response time. I'll generate a webpage with some pictures using the duplex. But it will take awhile as I don't have a single picture and the weather, here, is not warm enough to rear a few queens.

Regards
    Dennis

Thanks Dennis, look forward to seeing pix and all on your site. In the meantime, could you briefly describe how you set up the breeder side and free-flying side of your hive?

Thanks

Steve

B Wrangler
    i tried to look at the one website of yours that you posted earlier but is all i get is one small image - no info even after clicking one of the links (and only some of those are highlighted to click on)
    any ideas why??
    Dee

Well, I'm trying to figure this out . . .
    Took a 10 frame deep, made 2 dividers - one solid, one queen excluder.
    Made entrance doors front and back on both sides.
    Set up last Thursday afternoon by putting most of a strong hive in the box, arranging the "starter" side with pollen/honey, capped & open brood, pollen/honey. Kept the queen, and some brood and fresh drawn comb on the other side of the excluder. Started feeding.
    Friday afternoon, I took out the excluder and put in the solid divider, making sure the queen was not on the "starter" side.
    Shook most of the bees to the starter side, opened the front entrance on the "starter" side, opened the rear entrance on the "queen" side.
    Saturday, I grafted 16 cups on 2 bars from a strong queen I raised last year and put in the "starter" side.
    Checked them today and have 15 good, strong starts. Made sure the queen was still in her place, removed the solid divider and replaced with the excluder - making it a "queen-right" finisher.
    Closed the rear entrance to the "queen" side.
    We shall see how they do . . .

Hi N2dsky,

Sorry, I didn't get back earlier. But it appears that it's all for the good. I just used a solid divider and left it in. The use of a queen excluder is a neat twist with several possible benefits.

I've always consistently got 13 to 15 of the best queen cells possible using this method. For some reason the quality of the cells is always excellent.

Let me know how the excluder works.

Regards
    Dennis

duplicate post--moderator please delete!

Thanks

[size="1"][ May 16, 2006, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: B Wrangler ][/size]

Well . . . here are some results, so far. Of 16 grafts made on the 13th, 15 were started, all but 1 were capped and looked great at day 5. Let them simmer until Monday. They had destroyed several cells and built a lot of bur comb on several others. I cut the burr comb off and put cages on, total of 12. Checked this evening, 6 hatched and looking good, 5 now in cages in mating nucs, I'll release them tomorrow, and make up a few more nucs for any others that hatch.

Update: Had 8 of 16 hatch, all in maiting nucs. I'll try to graft a 2nd batch this weekend and see how they go. I think the weird Carolina weather had a bit to do with some of the ones that didn't hatch. We had a cold snap a few days ago and they likely pulled off some of the cells. I think I'll finish the next batch on top of a strong queen-right 5 frame nuc. Now, if I can just keep the mating nucs from getting robbed out. They're about 100 yards from my main yard. It's been very dry and the flow is about done. I'll be lucky to get any honey this year!

Dennis:

Thanks for the tip on those cages for virgins made up with the JzBz equipment. I ran out of time for making up mating nucs after we 've had poor weather. It was great yesterday. Lotsa virgins with the mating sign. Anyways I had a few extra cells and the we placed them in with the virgins. They'll be laying very soon and we'll release the virgins. It's a good idea because I can take use the cell protectors and the queen cages to cage virgins. It's stuff that I have around anyways. Again thank you.

Jean-Marc

Dennis:

Looks like we had some success. Queens mated and vigins were slow released after. Some mating nucs killed the virgins. Others were trying and still others didn't seem to mind an virgin. Go figure.

Jean-Marc

we had another situation where we had more cells than nucs and we tried the "accelerated " method again. We had success again. The queens were laying and virgins were in the cell protector queen cage units. It's kinda nice to be able to use the cells up instead of chucking them out. A liitle luck with Ma Nature and we've got mated queens. It's so cool. This part is so much better than running around the country sideoving bees Just got back from a bee moving marathon.

Jean-Marc

I've been trying this off and on for some time and, to help those who are trying it, here are my observations:

When I do this in a medium depth two frame mating nuc, it fails by far the majority of the time. The virgin in the cage ends up dead unless the first queen fails to return from mating in which case she is still alive.

When I do this in an medium depth eight frame nuc (the equivalent volume of a five frame deep) it works most of the time.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Michael,
    I was wondering if hive space would be significant. It seemed to me that there had to be a mechanism by which the caged virgin was not precieved to be a threat to the mating one, if only that she's so far removed that she isn't recognized.

Would one release the first queen in one corner while inserting the virgin in another corner?

WayaCoyote
    WayaCoyote

Default Re: Accelerated Queen Rearing

Quote Originally Posted by D. Murrell View Post
    Hi Guys,

I've made a web page concerning accelerated queen rearing. It's at:

www.bwrangler.com/bee/qace.htm

Regards
    Dennis

[SIZE=1][ December 31, 2006, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: D. Murrell ][/SIZE]
    This site does not open for me. Does anybody have a anew website?
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

Quote Originally Posted by D. Murrell View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Once the process is going, when working the nuc, you end up with a mated free roaming queen and a caged-hatched virgin queen. The mated queen is caged and removed from the nuc. The caged-hatched virgin is released. And a new caged queen cell is put in the nuc.

This process is repeated every seven days. I have used it with Russian bees and it worked great.

Regards
    Dennis
    I think what Dennis is saying is the nuc only has a loose queen that is going out to be mated and a cell or virgin in a cage at any one time. As the queens are mated they are harvested. Once harvested the virgin that was in the cage is released. A new cell is then put in the cage to hatch during the virgin's mating period. The cycle is then repeated.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

Quote Originally Posted by max2 View Post
    This site does not open for me. Does anybody have a anew website?
    Does NOT OPEN-for me either
    This thread is 6 or 7 years old
    Maybe the link has changed or no loner exists

Quote Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
    Does NOT OPEN-for me either
    This thread is 6 or 7 years old
    Maybe the link has changed or no loner exists
    Thus the question: Does anybody have a anew website?
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

Here is a web page that shows similar system, with explanations...

http://talkingstick.me/bees/accelerated-rearing/
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast