Thread: Drawn Comb

I have 3 hives with 1 hive body and 1 shallow ea. I started medication with Check Mite on Sept 3.
    Will I be able to put supers of foundation on now or should I wait until I take the Meds off.
    The goldenrod flow is going strong and I need to get more foundation for spring, but I want to be able to extract and sell or eat the honey and not have contimanated comb from the meds

I would certainly wait the full period, and not put on supers.

[This message has been edited by Rob Mountain (edited September 11, 2004).]

First, I'd post this in diseases and pests.

But I would follow the directions on the package minimum. I've never actuall seen a Checkmite package, but Organophosphates are nasty chemcicals. I wouldn't even want them in my hive.

But minimum I would follow the directions and not put supers on until the recomended period of time.

First of all, did you need to treat for anything? If not, you ruined your honeyflow for the rest of goldenrod. You should have waited for the flow end, then treated.

------------------
    Dale Richards
    Dal-Col Apiaries
    Drums, PA

Thanks for the replies. I wondered if I was doing the right thing by putting in meds just as the glodenrod flow began.
    As you probally have guessed, I am new at this and I have a lot to learn.
    I enjoy working with the bees and learning about them. I want to be a person that takes good care of his bees.
    In the future I will post in the approiate forum and after this round of meds has done it's thing I'll be more careful about what I put in my hives. I am more intrested in enviromental friendly beekeeping anyway

The first thing you should learn is how to monitor the mites. There is no point using any chemicals if you don't have a reason to.

Natural drop, a sticky board, a sugar roll are all fairly effective ways to get a feel for the mite population in your hive. If you don't have a lot of mites, I wouldn't do anything. If you do, there are a lot of alternatives to Checkmite. Read up on Small cell (see POV for Ed and Dee Lusby) and FGMO and Oxalic acid. You can search on any of these and read discussions on them. If you really want to be chemical free, then small cell or natural sized cell is the only method I know of that will work.