Question

Well this is my first post, I have been around bees a good part of my youth (my father had & still has bees) i always wanted so my self but im finally going to get me some , but i want a different bee , has anyone ever bought any bees from Draper's , i want to start 3 hives this coming spring (05) . I'm looking at getting 3 different types from them (drapers) ALLSTAR , SMART/HARBO, and RUSSIANS . Any info on these 3 lines from drapers would be appreciated. thanks

I bought 2 nucs from Drapers about 3 years ago. This from Drapers located here in PA, they are bees. I think his queens come from weavers, but I can be wrong. I got the SMR queens from him, and still graft from the daughters today. I have been told, that the SMR gene is not present after the third generation, but I am working on gen 6 or 7, and still have low mite counts. In fact, I am involved in Penn State research, and did a sugar roll test on Aug 1st, and from 1/2 cup of bees, only saw 1 mite. However, my mite counts were low throughout the apiary, so it maybe because of the weather this season. I'm not sure, but I'm happy with the SMR line. The queens I raise from the original, all have very tight brood paterns and winter very well in PA. They seen a little flighty on the combs, and are a little more agressive, but that could have come from crossbreeding.

------------------
    Dale Richards
    Dal-Col Apiaries
    Drums, PA

Hook you must be the only one that has bees from drapers, wonder way no one else has replied.thanx about the info on the bees hook

does anyone else ever heard anything about the allstar bees and the smr bees from drapers? about mite reduction, good strong hives, just anything ???

Hi Folks,

I have bought many a queen from Drapers in Pennsylvania. I have acquired their "hybrid" strain, carnolians and buckfast's from them. My experience in dealing with Bill and Royal Draper has been 100% positive. They are knowledgable and friendly to deal with, and always went above and beyond the call to ensure my queens were shipped same day, etc.. I would recommend them to anyone.

-cheers

todd