Question

hey there wine man i heard you tell me once that you make cell starting hives from a two or five frame nuc could you expand on that please thanks you can do it here or email me
    Nick

I've done it. I've had better luck with 10 frame boxes, but if you get a frame of pollen, one of capped brood, one of open brood, one of just honey, one frame with the cell bar (next to the open brood) and really crowd the box with bees it can work.

but why put in a frame of open brood in the starter hive then they cant focus there full attention on the queens right? Nick

It gets a bunch of nurse bees that are in "feeding mode" right near the queen cells. You don't want so many that they are overwelmed by feeding open brood, but some seems to get them in the mood to feed and a few more queen cells that are there are just a few more mouths to feed.

At least that has been my experience.

what would happen if when you make the starte you put in a frame of open brood right where youare going to put the queen cells and the 24 hours later you take that frame out and put you grafted queens there?

>what would happen if when you make the starte you put in a frame of open brood right where youare going to put the queen cells and the 24 hours later you take that frame out and put you grafted queens there?

It might work fine. But why is it a problem to just leave them? It will keep the nurse bees occupied enough to attract them there and keep them there.

i guess i dont like the idea of haveing some thing to distract the nurse bees from the queen cells.

If you have enough nurse bees in the nuc, they will be desperate for something to do. The queens will not get ignored if there are enough bees. A nuc crowded with nurse beed could easily feed five frames of open brood so if you only have part of one frame of open brood they will not be spending that much time on them. It just draws them to the right area and keeps them thinking of feeding. Open brood always need feeding. Queens are kind of an oddity. They aren't sure if they want all those queens or not, so keep them in the area so they will feed the queens while they are there.

ok i think that i will try a starter next spring with open brood and with out and see which is better

hey swarm

been awhile since ive read this thing. i usually put the open brood in as an attractant to get the nurse bees doing something in a given place. but i take that frame away and replace it with the grafts because i dont want them wasting any time feeding anything but queen cells.

do you make a two frame starter? if so how do you set it up and how many cells do you put in a starter and how good is the acceptance thanks Nick

I use a three frame starter. I made mini miller feeders and feed the before during and after. Open brood, and young bees are a must. I have done it with older bees, but you won't get as many queens started. Don't put alot of open brood, but some. And, you can also use that nuc as a mating nuc, because the bees usually won't leave the brood when the queen goes to mate. I use a variation of that theme when rearing a small nimber of queens. If you only need 5, it will work great. Don't expect a three frame nuc to start 50 cells!

------------------
    Dale Richards
    Dal-Col Apiaries
    Drums, PA