Thread: Queenless Hive

I just got into beekeeping this spring, and when I went to check my hive yesterday there weren't any eggs or larvae. Some capped brood, and some open queen cells, but no eggs anywhere. The last time I looked in was two weeks ago, and there were tons of eggs then. I guess I must have squished her. The population seems to have decreased too. I don't think they swarmed, (they had lots of room) but I guess it's possible. What I want to know is what now? My hive is a long drive from me, so I can't be there every day. Should I get a queen sent to me and bring her down there midweek? Or should I wait till next Sunday and hope that one of those cells made it? I do have another hive, doing well, that I could snag a frame of brood from, but I don't know if I should. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

>I just got into beekeeping this spring, and when I went to check my hive yesterday there weren't any eggs or larvae. Some capped brood, and some open queen cells, but no eggs anywhere.

Sounds like they superceded her or swarmed. Where were the queen cells?

>The last time I looked in was two weeks ago, and there were tons of eggs then. I guess I must have squished her.

Possible, but the queen's pretty fast.

>The population seems to have decreased too.

It is constantly decreasing if brood isn't constanly emerging. But My guess is they swarmed. It takes a while for the population to drop while brood is still emerging.

>I don't think they swarmed, (they had lots of room)

And you think that would stop them? It helps, but it will not gaurentee anything.

>but I guess it's possible. What I want to know is what now? My hive is a long drive from me, so I can't be there every day. Should I get a queen sent to me and bring her down there midweek?

My guess is that will be a waste of a good queen. They probably have one.

>Or should I wait till next Sunday and hope that one of those cells made it?

More than likely one did.

>I do have another hive, doing well, that I could snag a frame of brood from, but I don't know if I should.

That's what I would do. Then if they start raising another queen, you could buy one if you want, or let them raise it. You'll lose about a month of brood rearing with them raising the queen. In the middle of the flow this is usually a good thing. Now, if they swarmed, it's a bit more questionable. You might be better off to buy a queen this time of year.

Well, the queen cells were on the bottom of two frames, there were about five of 'em. So, if I put in a frame of brood, and they start raising another queen, then I don't have a new queen, and I can buy one then (as long as I don't let a new queen get going in there). Is that right?

Those are swarm cells on the bottom. So there is probably a virgin queen.

Yes, that's right. You can order a queen if they start one. My bet is they have one and she's not laying yet, but probably will be by the time you get a queen.