Hybrid View

Question

Hi all! I am planning to try raising my own Queens for fall requeening and for splits. This will be my 4th year with bees and have had mixed sucess.I had to start over last spring with three nucs and ended up with one strong, one medium and one weak colony,The medium and weak were joined in sept. using newspaper and sprayed sugar syrup.Both have survived thus far and I hope to see two strong hives come warm weather. Both are in two deeps and one medium, wrapped and insulated with reduced bottom and vent @ top.
    the question is what is the best way to raise queens with limited resources (2hives).
    I just purchased a poly nuc from betterbee and "Breeding Queens" book by Gilles Fert.Any and all suggestions would be apperciated.
    Thanks in advance stuart.
    Both colonies were treated for mites in fall and showed very low mite counts.

http://www.beesource.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000115.html

I listed my calendar and method in this thread, plus a lot of links to other queen rearing advice.

My method was all done on one strong hive. It served as the queen mother, the cell starter, the cell finisher and the top box (which was where the queen cells were) acted as one of the mating nucs. The other mating nucs I shook into three frame nucs with a frame feeder and two frames.

I made a FWOF (Floor without a floor) to do this.

Cool

Thanks for the info michael!what with reading all the other threads I forgot about that one. thanks again
    Good beekeeping.

You say you want them for requeening and splits. If you only want two or three or four queens, it might be just as easy to make that many nucs with a frame of eggs, a frame of emerging brood and a couple of frames of honey and pollen and let them each make a queen. Then you can steal a couple of the queens for requeening your main hives and combine those now queenless nucs with the other nucs to make the splits.

Or just make walkaway splits. Just do the split let them raise a queen.