Hi all,

I think most of us know that buckfast often become cross on second generation and so forth. How exaclty is it that buckfast breeders maintain the stock? Other related comments?

I assume that you mean the bee that those of us in the states have come to call buckfast....those from Weavers. They use to claim to do it by saturation and control of a huge number drone colonies over a large geography. I recall reading years back that when their bees were tested they were highly true to the strain. Not sure how that stands these days with africanized bees knocking on the door in Texas and if they are still using that strategy.....I havent used any in a number of years.

The Canadians have been fairly progressive in selecting a wide range of buckfast stock from within the states, Canada and Europe and using insemination and open matings.

And then there was Brother Adam who collected bees from aroundthe world to incorporate into what was to become Buckfast.

Actually, I've only had problems once on four hives at the same time. All four swarmed in August. All four turned vicious. That was summer before last. I've raised queens from Buckfasts for decades before that without any problems.

When was the last "new buckfast blood" imported into the U.S.? It would seem that the orginial hybrid strain has been diluted and now we are just relying on a good but "run of the mill" hybrid bee. I'll stick w/ my carnies.

They get drone semen or breeder queens and use that for there mother stock.I believe buckfast bees have some genes from the brown bee which was common when brother Adams started rearing queens.Im not sure now what the deal is buckfast bees they seemed better several years ago.

Buckfast Origins
    Dark Leather Italian and English bee before 1920. In 1940, French bee was added to the mix. In 1960, Greek bee added. As the crossed were added, the "bad qualities" were bred out. I get this info from Brother Adams book, "Breeding the Honeybee"
    http://www.fundp.ac.be/~jvandyck/hom...artII85en.html
    Page 29 under combination breeding. This is a good book, for understanding crossing and such!

[This message has been edited by Hook (edited February 17, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Hook (edited February 17, 2004).]

Hook Thanks,thats a great post thats how Buckfast were breed and they were good queens too.Now depending on where you get your buckfast queens you can add a little african too that mix =