Thread: Raising Queens.

Question

Due to lack funds because of low honey harvest, I am going to attempt raise my own queens. I have read numerous methods on raising queens but have not found one that would fit my needs. Any suggestions would bee appreciated.

http://www.beesource.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000098.html

Here is an outline of what I did last and also several links to queen rearing information.

I did it all in one box, up until mating. As I understand Dee, and others, often just introduce virgin queens to the hives being requeened and don't even remove the old one. Some also introduce queen cells to the hives being requeened (probably in protectors).

Using one hive for donor, builder and finisher is nice and simple. How you get cells or eggs can vary from taking a frame of eggs and wiping out every other row in both directions http://www.beesource.com/pov/hayes/abjmay91.htm and suspending it horizontally, or cutting the bottom out of the cells you want them to build into queens or using a Jenter system or grafting.

In the end, I think the hard part is the cell building aspect. It takes LOTS of YOUNG bees to get a cell builder.

Hi Hutch,

Raising queens doesn't have to be hard. Raising the highest quality queens is what is difficult. But the truth be told no beekeeper raises queens. Only bees really raise queens. Beekeepers can artificially transfer (graft larvae) larvae but thats about it other than control the conditions of food supply,supply of drones it really a joke as who can control what will truly happen? Other than II. The bees do the hard part! So if you need just a few queens why not just make walk away splits and let the bees make the queens? So when you want to make queens set up 4 or 5 frame nucs. I hate to tell all my secrets but here's one no extra charge For each queen you will need a comb of white wax (young comb). This comb must be introduced to the parent and removed in two to three days after queen has layed the comb up. Place in center of nuc and stock well with bees making sure a frame of pollen if right next to this comb. If you use deep boxes for the nuc use a division board feeder to close off the rest of the box or you will have to make a follower board. Any ways the secret to the white comb is this the bees will chew the cell walls of this comb down to the larvae and build the cell down this will provide for the best nutrition and well developed queens. If you use dark combs the bees cannot chew the cocoon down so the larvae are floated out to the top and then the cell is built down. The larvae as it develops cannot get all the food in the cell as some of it goes horizontal into the worker cell part and doesn't get the best feeding. If buy chance you have no white wax combs use the dark combs and you will still get queens. In this manner you also control the proper age of the larvae all other cells are to be removed.

Clay

Another option is to pick some nice young ones (eggs or those "invisible" larvae that have just hatched and been covered in food) and cut away the lower wall of the cell. That way they don't have to chew it down. If you don't have nice white wax this will work also.

Dear Sir:
    A new method has been found to complete the job of getting qneen cells finished with easy.It may breed many qneens and the quality is equal to what bees produce under swarming impulse.The extraordinary method can make breeding queens and producing royal jelly very convenient.I am considering to apply for a patent.Are you interested in it?
    If yes ,contact me.
    Look forward to your reply

------------------
    http://www.yourURL.com

Lightbulb

Anyone interested in raising your own queens, look up the KSU Land Grant web page at http://www.kysu.edu/land grant and check out the calendar. I would love to teach you what I know, and this will be a great time of learning and sharing.

------------------
    If a job is worth doing - Then do it well