I know there are a few beekeepers in the metro Atlanta area (I'd say at least 100 mi x 100 mi) from my local club, but none are close to me. I've never seen a honey bee around near me. I have seen a few in one location but none even close to my hives which are right near one of our major highways.

Do I have any chance of getting any genetic variability if I raise my own queens? ie. will there be any other drones not related to my queens in the area? I've asked a few bkers and they've said that there are wild bees everywhere, but I'm not that certain around here as most homeowners would probably get the wild bees on their property exterminated. They are in a very industrial area on an "oasis" of woodland and meadow from an old rundown horsefarm that an old lady refuses to sell.

If not, if I buy a few queens from a different source and keep these in nucs, will it be enough with my 2 queens now to ensure variability? Thanks in advance

Brandon

Brandon

You wrote:
    I know there are a few beekeepers in the metro Atlanta area (I'd say at least 100 mi x 100 mi) from my local club, but none are close to me. I've never seen a honey bee around near me. I have seen a few in one location but none even close to my hives which are right near one of our major highways.

Reply:
    Sounds like where we live. In the Center of Tucson, Arizona. A very large city in the Southwest. We are near I-10,I-17 too!

You then wrote:
    Do I have any chance of getting any genetic variability if I raise my own queens? ie. will there be any other drones not related to my queens in the area? I've asked a few bkers and they've said that there are wild bees everywhere, but I'm not that certain around here as most homeowners would probably get the wild bees on their property exterminated. They are in a very industrial area on an "oasis" of woodland and meadow from an old rundown horsefarm that an old lady refuses to sell.

Reply:
    Again sounds like us. We are in an old industrial complex, next to an "oasis" of woodland next to Davis Monthan AFB. The grasslands and wooded area of the base is nice to have so near and of course to get rid of that they would have to close the base down, then no storage place for planes.

We do wonderfully with our few queens kept at our place because of this. Plenty of places for the bees to hid and have feral swarms in. It's easier to keep our stock too becasue of this.Also the bees forage away from home all around and we never hardly see many near by also.But we got 8 permanent hives here and they do just fine. I also raise and graft queens here and don't seem to have any problem.

So go for it. Besides it's the only way for you to really find out now, isn't it? Bet you will be pleasantly surprised.

Regards,

Dee A. Lusby