Thread: What ??

Can someone tell me,What is the diff- between an old world Carniolan & a new world Carniolan.>>>>Mark

No clue. Maybe a new world carnolian is from the new Yugoslavia? You know, since it was reformed.. Really, all kidding aside, I have no clue whatsoever.

The bee which is commonly referred to as carnolian is Apis Mellifera Carnica. As a reference, the common italian bee is Apis Mellifera Ligustica. The Ligustica bee originally occurred in a fairly small area---Italy. Carnica originates from a larger geographic area just to the east of Italy.

The New World Carnolian is a result of a breeding program of Carnica stock. It was undertaken by Sue Cobey who is now at Ohio State. Its purpose was to select carnolians for tracheal mite resistance and it has been quite successful......so NWC's are just Carnica that have and continue to experience specific selection pressure. Tracheal mite resistance isnt that hard to come by but it takes constant vigilance to maintain in a stock. I believe that Sue has been spending some time in recent years looking for NWC's that might also have varroa resistance. And Pat Heitkam has done alot of work taking NWC's and successfully selecting for HYG.

Sometimes you hear Old World come up referencing carnolians that arent in the breeding program and sometimes I have heard it in reference to those who might have stock from which the New World stock was originated.