Thread: mite resistance

Question

I am geting some queens from b weaver (buckfast and all american) the people say they are mite resistant dose this mean I dont have to treat for mites? or sould I still I want to hear your opinion. thankyou

You need to monitor mite populations in those bees. Bear in mind that bees in warmer climates can tolerate a lot more tracheal mites that bees that need to be wintered in cold areas. In my experience, the Buckfast have no resistance to Varroa. They will die the second winter without treatment. Weaver bees are productive but I have my doubts about the mite resistance.

I have had a Buckfast hive survive a heavy Varroa infestation. In the end ALL of my Buckfasts die from the mites. They were from B Weaver. Whatever breed you have you need to monitor and see if you have a problem. I wouldn't treat unless I found a problem, but I wouldn't just ignore the mites. If you don't monitor them you will end up losing hives. How you treat is another discussion, but whatever treatment you use, it can still fail so you still need to monitor. Buckfasts are tracheal mite resistant.