Every one Sims to have a different opinion on splitting hives.
    Shurly der mast be a simple way off doing dies.

Ok dies is what I got 30 queen cell reedy to hatch 8 day’s
    25+ hives reedy to split plus a number off nux’s whit queens in reserve.
    I have bin feeding the hives heavily 2/1 syrup for 7 day’s

Any cool ideas??

[This message has been edited by ziggi_m (edited May 10, 2003).]

Partly everyone has different ideas based on their experiences which are often controled by the weather, the nectar flow etc.

If you have queen cells ready to hatch, I'd do a bunch of nucs if you have them, or regular boxes if you don't. Put some honey, pollen, emerging brood and young eggs in each split along with the queen cells in a protector. Honey and pollen on the outsides and brood and eggs in the middle. If you don't have a protector, use some aluminum (tin?) foil around the queen cell except for the bottom, where she needs to come out. Put the queen cell in the middle of the new split. Shake in some young nurse bees, making sure, in all of this, that the old queen stays in the old hive, or at least that the queen and the queen cell are in diffent hives. If the weather isn't too hot, I'd make a screen closure for the door. #8 hardware cloth cut the width of the door stapled to a strip of wood and this nailed to block the door with the hardware cloth works well. I'd close the new split off for 24 to 48 hours to let them get reorganized in the new box. I'd also put some branches or something in front of the door when you do open it to let them get reoriented. If you can, putting the splits 2 miles away from the original hive or more is ideal, but I know I seldom have that luxuary.

If you have a top feeder or a division board feeder you could also feed them thin syrup. It gives them some energy, and also some water for when the hive is closed up.

Mainly the concept is to put half of everything that is in the original hive, in the split in the same organization as the bees would use for their brood nest (stores on the outside, brood in the middle) and add the queen cell to the queenless one with a protector so they don't tear it up before they figure out they are queenless, and close the bees in on the new hive so they have time to get organized and settled in.

That's my opinion. I'm sure someone else has a better idea.

Agree with just splitting the hives down the middle and even replacing the removed frames with new foundation. Great way to cull drone and introduce new comb. If you put queen cells in the splits a few days before hatching, the bees will actually get accustomed to her scent and acceptance should be easy.

Move them a distance away, but I don't always do this. Then move them back on a cool morning before activity starts.

here, one big concern is if you split too late,the hive can't build up before winter.i think you've got a warm weather advantage there.

What IS the latest yopu would start a nuc box with a new queen in order to make it through the winter?

I have done it in August, but I fed them lots of honey and put them on top of a double screen over a strong hive for the winter.

Hi there,

I am getting a couple of queens in a few days to do as many small splits from a very strong hive I got (who is clearly trying to get read to swarm).
    Since this is the first time I do this, I ha