Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

queencells

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  droneman 
#1 ·
how long will it take to look for eggs in hive after making split with capped queencells

#2 ·
Droneman wrote:
how long will it take to look for eggs in hive after making split with capped queencells

Reply:
Depending upon the age of the queen cells and then when the queen emerges, figuring roughly 14-15 for the queen to emerge and about 5-7 days more for her to go out and mate and then another 3 or so to start to lay, I would say figure no faster then 21 days from starting the grafting to 25 days or so on average. Here with bad weather conditions it could take a few days more, and with very good weather conditions a few days less.

Regards,

Dee

#3 ·
That has always been the case for me as well. I start looking for eggs about 10 days after the queen emerges. Sometimes it seems that those 10 days lasts for 10 months. I have queenless colony at the moment, and have a quuen in a mating nuc, and I have until Tuesday before I see eggs. I have been removing supercedure cells right along, and actually used the queenless hive as a starter for more queens. It really has been a setback for the hive, because it is very strong, and it has no new brood, but it should recover quite quickly. The SMR strain has done very well for me, and the daughter quuen that I raised have been superb. I aquired some carnolian packages this year, and I'm curious to see how the "mix" turns out.

On another note, the housel positioning really proves true in my eyes. I really noticed the centering before brood rearing started. Once the cluster broke, you really could see the center of the hive. I even said out loud, "that is the coolest thing I ever saw!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.