Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Pheromone ? for Dee

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Dee A. Lusby 
#1 ·
Hi Dee, long time no chat. There is discussion on a Bee Forum thread (Swarm Trap Question) about using pheromone lures, and I seem to recall your giving a recipe for a good home-made lure mixing "retired" queens, and some sort of excipient in a blender. Could you possibly give us that formula again?

By the way, my bees are almost all down to 4.9 cell size, and even though the varroa finally showed up, the bees are doing well and holding strong colonies with zero chemicals or drugs. I had 20% winter kill, but they show every sign of being caught away from stores by a cold snap, rather than disease. I owe it to your wisdom and the knowledge which you have so freely shared. Thank you.
Joel

------------------
gnubee

#2 ·
Hi Dee, long time no chat. There is discussion on a Bee Forum thread (Swarm Trap Question) about using pheromone lures, and I seem to recall your giving a recipe for a good home-made lure mixing "retired" queens, and some sort of excipient in a blender. Could you possibly give us that formula again?

Reply:

There are three ways of doing it, but the one you are referring to simply involved taking old queens being replaced, or culled virgins even, and simply throwing them into a small bottle of alcohol and then waiting a few months before using.

Butler early on used to do it with old queens and alcohol too.

The alcohol will turn a light brownish color and when I see the color change I simply take a drop or two in a small eye dropper and place it where I want the bees to go.

Regards,

Dee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.