Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

nucs----splits

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  droneman 
#1 ·
im going to be pressed for time want to know if it would be ok to make a split with 3 or 4 frames but not put queen in for 2 or 3 days I have always put queen in the same day how long can you wait till you put queen in

#3 ·
As Dee has said, it depends. If there is open brood they may try to raise one. If there are fresh eggs you can count on it. I try not to go more than 24 hours and prefer 12. Also there is the absconding issue. If you want to buy some pheromes, you can get Queen Mandibular Pherome and it will make them think there is still a queen around and they won't abscond.

#5 ·
Robert wrote:
One problem I always have with queenless splits is that the bees tend to drift into queenright colonies nearby, leaving them short of bees.

Reply:
Yes, this happens, especially with no open brood or very little open, and only sealed the majority.

A very good reason not to dillydally getting queens put in.

To help if necessary(bees drift badly), take a frame or two of open brood from another colony with covering nurse bees and put in to beef up the split/nuc if a new queen is not readily avail or something happens in getting ordered queens to you in time.

Regards,

Dee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.